Engineering Materials Science
Internationally high-level know-how on all materials based on strong interdisciplinary basic research
Our research in engineering materials science covers topics ranging from metallic materials, ceramics, coatings, plastics, rubber materials, composites, materials characterisation, tribology and wear as well as paper converting and packaging technologies.
The only higher education unit in Finland covering all material groups
- Over 1000 M.Sc. (Eng.), 80 Lic.Tech., and 80 Ph.D. thesis and more than 6000 publications since 1969
High-level basic research of the structure, properties, processing, and use of materials
- Researcher with knowledge of and expertise in all groups of materials
- Versatile and up-to-date research and testing equipment
Strong collaboration with industry and academic units
- Research funding comes mainly from industry, Business Finland, Academy of Finland, and the EU
Networks internationally and participates in international research projects
- Scientific collaboration and research exchange
The research groups of the Engineering Materials Science are: Materials Characterisation, Metals Technology, Plastics and Elastomer Technology, Surface Engineering Ceramic Materials, Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Tribology and Machine Elements, and Paper Converting and Packaging Technology. Tampere Wear Center (TWC), which specialises in exploring different types of wear phenomena and mechanisms, as well as the Thermal Spray Center Finland (TSCF) and the Laser Application Laboratory (LAL), which both involve multiple units from Tampere University and external research institutions, are also housed within our Faculty.
In addition, the microscopy facilities of Tampere University are at Tampere Microscopy Center.