Polymer and composite processing and rheology
Polymer and composite processing and rheology
Facilities to process polymeric materials (e.g. compounding, injection molding, infusion, and pressing, composite vacuum injection, adhesive film bonding) and to analyse the rheological properties relevant to processing and adhesive bonding (fracture mechanics, adhesive properties, low velocity impact). Wide range of numerical analysis mainly based on finite element (FE) method.
Fanuc Injection Moulding Machine Roboshot α-C30
Fanuc Injection Moulding Machine Roboshot αC30 is precise and fast all-electric injection molding machine. It is suitable for small and thin-walled samples.
- Mould height 150-300 mm
- Maximum stroke 530 mm
- Locating ring diameter 100 mm
- Tie bar spacing 280x280 mm
- Screw diameter 20 mm
- Maximum injection volume 19 cm3
- Maximum injection pressure 2000 bar
- Clamping force 300 kN
- Maximum injection speed 300 mm/s
- Nozzle radius 10 mm
- Standard or Barrier screw
- Possibility to collect mould pressure and temperature data
DSM Xplore TM twin screw micro injection moulder
DSM Xplore TM 4 cm3 micro injection moulder is fast and suitable for small sample volumes.
- Maximum injection volume 5 cm3
- Injection pressure 400 - 1300 bar
- Maximum temperature of the cylinder 400°C
- Maximum temperature of the mould 200°C
- Impact test specimen (Charpy / IZOD ISO 179 / 180)
- Tensile test specimen (ISO 527-2-1BA)
- Coin (diameter 25 mm, thickness 1.5 mm)
Rotational moulding machine
In-house build rotational moulding machine with electrically heated mould.
The mould is designed in co-operation with a rotational moulding company to have features that demonstrate how well the material is suitable for rotational moulding process.
Rotational speed and direction of the two axis can be individually adjusted as well as the mould temperature from few locations.
Brabender Twin Screw Extruder DSE 25
The Brabender Twin Screw Extruder DSE 25 is suitable to process plastics and elastomers. In addition to compounding, the equipment can be used to reactive extrusion and recipe development.
- Gravimetric, volumetric or forced feed
- Screw diameter 25 mm
- Screw length 16 - 44 L : D
- Modular screw
- The screw geometry can be altered
Extrudex ED-N 30
Extrudex ED-N 30 is a single screw extruder to manufacture different kind of profiles, such as film. It can also be used to compound different additives to plastics.
- Screw diameter 30 mm
- Screw length 20-30 L : D
- Rotation speed 0-150 rpm
- Temperature 0-400 °C (3 sections in the cylinder)
- Batch or continuous process
- Material compounding or sample manufacturing
- Recommended sample size 100-1000g
DSM Xplore TM twin screw micro-compounder
DSM Xplore TM 5 cm3 twin screw micro-compounder is suitable to compound and extrude small patches.
- Capacity 5 cm3
- Two co-rotating screws
- The length of the conical screw 90 mm
- Rotation speed 5- 400 rpm
- N2 feed
- Maximum process temperature 400°C
- Water and air cooling
Krupp Elastomertechnik GK 1,5 E laboratory rubber mixer
- Capacity: 1.5 l
- Intermeshing rotors
- Rotor speed 10-100 rpm
- Automatic process control and data collection
Brabender W 50 E batch mixer
- Capacity 55 cm3
- Tmax 500°C
Brabender N 350 E batch mixer
- Capacity 370 or 440 cm3
- Tmax 300°C
High-shear mixer Dispermat CA-40
Dispermat CA-40 is a high-shear mixer with computer control. Mixing can be done at certain temperature (heating/cooling unit) and in vacuum or atmospheric pressure.
Graphic display with indications of speed, torque, power, product temperature, timer, peripheral speed and height of the dispersing tool. The control is able to record the process parameters with graphical indication, switch‒off function for temperature, speed, torque and power.
- Power: 1.5 kW
- Speed: 0 - 20 000 rpm
- Torque: 1.5 Nm
- Product volume: ~ 20ml – 6l (high volumes only for materials with medium viscosity)
High definition vacuum forming machine Formech 300x
Thermoforming machine is used to reshape a heated plastic sheet with a mould using pressure and vacuum. Materials suitable for thermoforming are for example PVC, PS, ABS, PMMA, PC, PE-HD and PP.
- Plastic sheet 450 mm x 300 mm
- Minumum thickness 6 mm
- For thermoplastic polymers that can be melted
- Spinning velocities 10 – 800 m/min
- Capacity 200 – 5000 g
- Max. spinning temperature 350°C
In the electrospinning process an electric field is generated between the polymer solution and the collector using a voltage generator (Simco Chargemaster BP 50).
MKH hydraulic press MPDE 40
Hydraulic press is used in compression moulding of polymeric materials.
- Temperature: RT- 400oC
- Press: 0-400 kN
- Maximum sample size 350x350 mm
- Water cooling
SOMOS Dry Air Dryer
SOMOS Dry Air Dryer TF 10 HT is designed for drying of hygroscopic plastic pellets or regrinded material. It is equipped with an integrated conveying system for automatic feeding of the processing machine.
- Dry air temperature: +60 - +200°C
- Mass: 140 kg
- Volume: 30 l
- Dry air volume 20 m3/h
Rotational rheometer Anton Paar MCR301
Rotational rheometer is a technique for the measurement of material deformations and rheological properties, such as melt viscosity. During the measurement, the sample is subjected to shear deformation by constantly rotating or oscillating measuring system.
- Plate/plate and cone/plate geometries for polymer melts
- Concentric cylindrical geometry for liquids, suspensions and solutions
- SER-extensional rheology system for polymer films
- Sample holders for solid polymeric materials
- Magneto-Rheological device for magnetorheological fluids
- Maximum temperature: Plate/plate, cone/plate, SER and solid samples RT-600ºC
- Maximum temperature: Concentric cylinder -20 to +200 °C
- Maximum torsional moment 200 mNm
- Frequency 10^-5-628 Hz
Capillary rheometer Göttfert Rheograph 6000
Capillary rheometry can be used to study the rheological properties of molten plastics and elastomers at different temperatures. Rheolocigal properties are needed in mould and tool simulation of injection moulding and extrusion processes. Capillary rheometer is used to measure viscosity and shear stress at high shear rates, which provides valuable information about the material’s behaviour in actual process environments that can be used to solve material based problems in processing.
- Maximum force: 60 kN
- Maximum temperature: 400 ⁰C
- Piston speed: 0.0001 – 40 mm/s
- Shear rate: 0.12 – 46000 1/s (12 mm cylinder, 1 mm capillary)
Melt flow index tester
The melt flow is measured according to the ISO 1133 standard. In this method, the ease of flow of the melt (g/10min) is measured at a certain temperature at a certain loading. The test equipment includes a vertical heated cylinder, in which the sample is placed, a die in the bottom of the cylinder and a piston and weight above the sample. The sample is let to flow through the die with certain diameter and the mass of the flown polymer is measured.
Advanced Polymer Analyzer APA2000
The Advanced Polymer Analyzer (APA2000) is used to study the dynamic mechanical rheological properties of rubbers and other polymers (before, during and after curing or melt solidification). Tests possibilities include cure tests, sweep tests and stress relaxation tests.
- Torque 0-22.6 Nm
- Frequency 0.0015-33.33 Hz
- Strain 0.28-1256%
- Temperature 30-230oC
- Time 0.01-9999.99 min
The MV2000, Mooney Viscometer is used to measure viscosity and scorch of elastomers and mixed rubbers.
- Testing standards: ASTM D1646 and D3346
- Temperature: Ambient to 200oC
- Rotation: 2 rpm standard, 0.1 to 20 rpm optional