In social psychology, key research topics include social interaction, self and identity, group dynamics, and the relationships between individuals, communities, and society. Social psychological research at Tampere University explores these phenomena in different contexts such as social media, digital healthcare, and communities in everyday and working life. Teaching in social psychology is carried out with the other fields of study in social research using both traditional and e-learning methods.
- Behaviour Change & Wellbeing Research Group
- Emerging Technologies Lab
- Encounters - Research group on Social Interaction
Recent research projects
- Accounting for interactionally troublesome exchanges: Paradoxes, biases, and inequalities in storying, perceiving, and countering problematic social experiences
- Augmented Reality and Social Interaction
- Cyberhate in Society
- Evidence-based health promotion in workplaces (Promo@Work)
- From Margins of Labour Markets towards Empowerment? (MARTE)
- Gambling in the digital age
- Healthcare Workers in the Eye of the Digital Turbulence: New Forms of Cooperation and Customer Orientation
- Implementation of contextual complexity in AI-based assessment systems of older people's social isolation
- Intelligent social technologies enhancing community interaction and sustainable use of shared living spaces in superblocks (SocialBlock)
- Interacting with robots
- Interaction, social inclusion, and mental illness
- Joint negotiation on employee’s return to work solutions
- MAMANET - Mothers’ intra- and interethnic contacts in multicultural neighbourhoods
- NewBI5 - New Competitiveness and Business Impact from Intelligence, Intuition, Integration and Interaction
- Problem Gambling and Social Media - Social Psychological Study on Youth Behavior in Online Gaming Communities
- Robots in Society - Social Psychological Study on Human-Robot Interaction and Robot Acceptance
- Social media at work - Social media and work engagement among young adults
- Testaamisen sosiologia: Persoonallisuustestit työelämän ideaalisubjekteja rakentamassa
- Tietoon pohjautuva jaettu päätöksenteko terveydenhuollossa (PROSHADE)
- Työterveysneuvottelu työhönpaluun tuessa
- Touch and Affect in Healthcare Interaction
- Urban utopias and dystopias: artificial intelligence in art and society
- Well-being through work
Social psychology is taught as part of the Degree Programme in Social Sciences. The degree programme consists of a Bachelor’s programme and a Master’s programme. Completing a Bachelor’s degree usually takes three years while the studies on the Master’s level take two years.
At Tampere University, the teaching of social psychology is strongly research-based.
We are also one of the fields of research in the Doctoral Programme in Social Sciences.
Professor Atte Oksanen is Head of the field of study.