Atte Oksanen is professor of social psychology and the leader of Emerging Technologies Lab at the Tampere University. His research focuses on emerging technologies, social interaction, criminology and addiction research. He has successfully led several major research projects funded by the Academy of Finland, the Kone Foundation, the Aaltonen Foundation, the Finnish Foundations for Alcohol Studies, the Finnish Work Environment Fund, and the Helsingin Sanomat Foundation. He has published extensively on social media, online communities and cyberhate during the last years and has over 300 publications to his name, with over 140 peer-reviewed international journal articles, including flagship journals (e.g. Criminology, Addiction, Pediatrics, International Journal of Information Management, Computers in Human Behavior, and New Media & Society). Publications include two international monographs on cyberhate and cybervictimization published by Springer (2016) and Routledge (2017).
Research and research management, MA and PhD level teaching in social psychology at the degree program for social sciences.
Board member of Research Council for Culture and Society, Academy of Finland (2022–2024)
Board member of FInnish Research Infrastructures Committee, Academy of Finland (2022–2025)
Main positions of trust
2022–2025 Board member, Finnish Research Infrastructures Committee, Academy of Finland
2022–2024 Board member, Research Council for Culture and Society, Academy of Finland
2021–2022 Member assessment group for gambling harms and risks, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health
2020– A-Clinic Foundation, member of board
2019–2020 Member assessment group for gambling harms and risks, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health
Currently editorial board member of Scientific Reports (Nature), Plos One, International Journal of Enviromental Research & Public Health
human-robot interaction, human-technology interaction, social media, online aggression and hate, self and identity, severe targeted violence, addiction, gambling, wellbeing
Social psychology, psychology, criminology, sociology, social sciences, health sciences, cultural studies
2018– Professor of Social Psychology (full), Tampere University, Finland
2014–2018 Professor of Social Psychology, University of Tampere Finland
2013–2016 PI, Hate Communities: A Cross-National Comparison Project (Kone Foundation), University of Turku, Finland
2013–2014 Senior researcher, National Research Institute of Legal Policy, Ministry of Justice, Finland
2012–2013 Senior researcher, Finnish Youth Research Network, Helsinki
2009–2012 PI, Everyday Life and Insecurity (Aaltonen Foundation), University of Turku, Finland
2009–2011 PI, post-doctoral researcher’s project Images of Addiction in Rock Culture, University of Tampere, Finland
2007–2008 Post-doctoral research fellow, University of Tampere, Finland
2002–2006 Research fellow, University of Tampere, Finland
Education and degrees awarded
2011 Title of docent, sociology, University of Helsinki, Finland
2011 Title of docent, sociology, University of Turku, Finland
2008 Title of docent, social psychology, University of Tampere, Finland
2006 Doctor of Social Sciences, social psychology, University of Tampere, Finland
2004 Licentiate of Social Sciences, social psychology, University of Tampere, Finland
2004 Master of Arts, Finnish literature, University of Tampere, Finland
2001 Master of Social Sciences, social psychology, University of Tampere, Finland
1. Oksanen, A., Oksa, R., Savela, N. Mantere, E., Savolainen, I., & Kaakinen, M. (2021). COVID-19 Crisis and Digital Stressors at Work: A Nationwide Longitudinal Study. Computers in Human Behavior https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2021.106853.
2. Savela, N., Oksanen, A., Pellert, M, & Garcia, D. (2021). Emotional reactions to robot colleagues in a role-playing experiment. International Journal of Information Management, 60, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2021.102361.
3. Oksanen, A., Kaakinen, M., Latikka, R., Savolainen, I., Savela, N., & Koivula, A. (2020). Regulation and trust: 3-month follow-up study on COVID-19 mortality in 25 European countries. JMIR Public Health and Surveillance, 6(2): e19218. DOI: 10.2196/19218.
4. Oksanen, A., Kaakinen, M., Minkkinen, J., Räsänen, P., Enjolras, B., & Steen-Johnsen, K. (2020). Perceived societal fear and cyberhate after the November 2015 Paris Terrorist Attacks. Terrorism & Political Violence, 32(5), 1047–1066. https://doi.org/10.1080/09546553.2018.1442329.
5. Keipi, T., Näsi, M., Oksanen, A., & Räsänen, P. (2017). Online Hate and Harmful Content: Cross-National Perspectives. Abingdon & New York: Routledge.
6. Aaltonen, M., Oksanen, A., & Kivivuori, J. (2016). Debt Problems and Crime. Criminology, 54(2), 307–33. DOI: 10.1111/1745-9125.12103.
7. Oksanen, A., Aaltonen, M., & Kivivuori, J. (2015). Driving under the Influence as a Turning Point? A Register-based Study on Financial and Social Consequences among First-time Male Offenders. Addiction, 110(3), 471–478. DOI: 10.1111/add.12777.
8. Oksanen, A., Garcia, D., Sirola, A., Näsi, M., Kaakinen, M., Keipi, T., & Räsänen, P. (2015). Pro-Anorexia and anti-pro-anorexia videos on
YouTube: Sentiment analysis of user responses. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 17(11):e256. DOI: 10.2196/jmir.5007.
9. Oksanen, A. Hawdon, J., & Räsänen, P. (2014). Glamorizing Rampage Online: School Shooting Fan Communities on YouTube. Technology in Society, 39, 55–67. DOI: 10.1016/j.techsoc.2014.08.001.
10. Oksanen, A. (2013). Deleuze and the Theory of Addiction. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 45(1), 57–67. DOI: 10.1080/02791072.2013.763563.