Tampere University Student's Handbook
International student tutoring for exchange students
As an international student, you will be assigned a student tutor in July (autumn semester) or in December (spring semester) – a local student who volunteers to guide you in the process of moving to a new country and settling into university life. Student tutors will be in touch with you already before your arrival and will help you with practical matters and ease your way into the university community.
Please note that you need to make your own travel arrangements from your country of residence to your student housing in Tampere. If you arrive outside of office hours, your tutor may be able to pick up your key to your student housing on your behalf. Your tutor may be able to meet you upon arrival, but please note that our international student tutors are not required to pick you up from the airport.
Please note that your student tutor is helping several international students at the same time, which means they may not always be available to you.
Our international student tutors may help you with*:
- answering some of your questions related to practical matters
- finding someone who can help you with study-related issues
- finding your way around campus or to your student housing
- help you with finding ESN offices
- collecting the key to your student housing from TOAS or POAS, if you arrive in Tampere outside of office hours
- help you with a travel card at the Nysse's customer service
- help you with your registration with the local authority
- opening a bank account (only if applicable)
* Please note that some restrictions might apply due to COVID-19, or your tutor might not be available on a specific day
How is it organised at Tampere University
At Tampere University international student tutoring is organised by the International Mobility Services in close cooperation with faculties, the Student Union and subject associations (guilds) operating within the Student Union (TREY). The Student Union coordinates the application process, marketing and helps with the tutor trainings. TREY is in active contact with the international tutoring organisers in subject associations. On Hervanta campus INTO is coordinating international student tutoring for exchange students in 2022-23.
Each subject association is responsible for specific field of study or degree programme. For more information and a list of subject associations, please see: International student tutoring at Tampere University.