Support funding available for article processing charges from 25.2.2022 onwards
The target group of the support funding are certain research projects funded by the Academy of Finland, research projects funded by Horizon Europe and grant holders and doctoral researchers.
As a researcher affiliated to Tampere University, you can apply for support funding to pay the article processing charge for your scientific publication. To be eligible, you must act as a corresponding author of the peer-reviewed publication and meet one of the following criteria:
- You work as a grant holder and have a valid resource agreement with Tampere University OR
- You are working on a doctoral dissertation at Tampere University and have a valid resource agreement or employment contract with Tampere University OR
- You are working as a researcher in a project funded by the Academy of Finland or Horizon Europe.
The Library pays the APC for those projects funded by the Academy of Finland that have received a positive decision from the Academy in a call for proposals opened after 1 January 2021, in accordance with the Academy's renewed open access policy for scientific publications. For projects funded as a result of calls for proposals launched by the Academy of Finland before 1.1.2021 and for Horizon 2020 projects, article processing charges will be paid from the funding allocated to the project.
Support funding can be applied for to cover the article processing charge of a peer-reviewed publication
The Library will pay the article processing charge if the publication channel chosen by the applicant (e.g. the journal, conference proceedings or a book consisting of articles) meets the following criteria:
- The publication belongs to the publication type category A1-A4 of the Ministry of Education and Culture’s publication data collection (peer-reviewed scientific article, review article, conference paper, chapter in a book)
- The publication channel is classified by the Publication Forum at level 1-3.
- The publication channel uses Creative Commons licenses for open access articles.
- The publication channel is Plan S compliant and meets the Academy of Finland's open access requirements, including the use of Creative Commons licenses when the project is funded by the Academy.
- The publication channel meets Horizon Europe's open access requirements, including the use of Creative Commons licenses when the project is funded by Horizon Europe.
- The publication channel charges an article processing charge of up to €3500. The Library may accept an application for a specific reason if the fee exceeds €3500.
Publications accepted for publication after 1.1.2022 and for which an article processing charge for immediate access has not yet been paid may apply for funding.
How do I apply for funding?
Remember to take advantage of FinELib agreements on open access publishing free of charge for the researcher. Before filling in the application form, check whether the scientific journal you have chosen is covered by the open access agreements negotiated by FinELib consortium. The Tampere University Library also has direct agreements with publishers on open access. The current agreements and the related guidelines are available in our open access guide.
How do I pay the article processing charge when the library will cover it?
The Library will process your application and send you instructions on how to proceed with the invoice. The Library will not refund any article processing charges already paid, so please do not pay fee until the Library has processed your application.
Where can I find out more about support funding?
Contact the library's OA specialists at oa [at] tuni.fi. The eligibility criteria and application form can be found in our guide. An Intranet page is forthcoming.