Recording video assignments with a computer (students)
Getting started with the Panopto video recording software
- Install the Panopto video recording software onto your computer from the Panopto website https://tuni.cloud.panopto.eu by opening the create menu and selecting Panopto for Windows, then select the Download Panopto link (the download link will not be shown until you have the right to add videos to a Panopto folder).
- Start the Panopto software.
Selecting and checking settings
- Check/determine the saving preferences in the Panopto software:
- Destination folder in the Panopto service: from your courses video folder select assignment folder
- Name of video: specify a name for your video.
- Set camera image and audio sources.
- Quality settings: choose "High" for camera image (if you are using a camera), choose a resolution of 1920 x 1080 for screen capture, choose 15 fps as the frame rate and 1,500 kbit/s as the video bit rate.
- Image source/sources for Secondary videos:
- Capture PowerPoint: when using PowerPoint with this selection, Panopto saves your slides as images and creates an automatic table of contents from the titles of the slides and indexes the text on the slides for text searches.
- Capture Main Screen: if you are presenting other material in addition to PPT slides, Panopto captures your screen. This feature can also be used with two displays, when using the Duplicate screen mode (recommended).
- Capture Second Screen (if using two screens and Extended desktop selected as display mode): use with caution, if you want to use the Extended desktop mode on two displays. You cannot change the mode during the recording without interrupting the recording.
Recording using the Panopto software
- Start recording by clicking the Record button.
- Pause recording for a short while by clicking the Pause button, if necessary.
Please note that pausing the recording will not stop the recording altogether, it only marks a time on the recording that will not be shown to the viewers.
You can retrieve any paused sections using the Panopto editor. If you are planning on taking a longer break, stop the recording.
- To do this, click the Stop button and wait for the Panopto software to upload the entire recording to the Panopto server.
Once the recording is being processed on the server, you may close the software and your computer, which will ensure that the recording is transferred safely to the Panopto service.
Recording using web browser (Panopto Capture)
You can easily record audio, video, and screens or applications without special recorder software by using your web browser (Chrome, Firefox or Edge). Panopto calls this functionality Panopto Capture:
- Go to the Panopto video folder where you want to add new video.
- Click Create button and select Panopto Capture.
- Select microphone, camera and screen/application sources.
- Start recording by clicking the red circle button.
More information and detailed instructions: How to Create a Video Using Panopto Capture
Video viewing rights
- Videos you upload to the video hand-in folder are shown either only to you and the teacher or to all course participants, depending on the visibility option the teacher selects for the folder.
- By default, viewing your video will require signing in to Panopto and membership in the Panopto user group specified for the course video folder. Should you wish to share the viewing link with other people, you must open the Panopto service with a web browser, use the Browser function to find your video in the course unit’s video hand-in folder and then change the “Who can access” option in the Share settings to Anyone with the link. The same view displays the viewing link.
0294 520 500
it-helpdesk [at] tuni.fi (it-helpdesk[at]tuni[dot]fi)