Tapio Kujala starts as Tampere University of Applied Sciences’ president in 2021
Tapio Kujala is Doctor of Social Sciences. Kujala transfers to the position from Diaconia University of Applied Sciences where he works as the rector. His prior workplaces include Yleisradio and the Finnish Lifelong Learning Foundation.
The Board of Tampere University of Applied Sciences Ltd elected the new president in its meeting on 24 September 2020.
“The Board chose Doctor of Social Sciences Tapio Kujala as the president unanimously. Kujala has strong experience of the university of applied sciences sector and ability to undertake reforms in cooperation with staff and students. I believe that Tapio will bring more intensity and impact to TAMK’s development as a part of the Tampere Universities community,” states TAMK Board’s Chair Mari Walls.
“The Tampere Universities community offers a unique operating environment in the Finnish higher education sector. I am excited about the possibility to challenge teachers, researchers and the whole staff as well as students to joint development for the best of the working life. Future professions and entrepreneurship are created across degree programmes. As a multidisciplinary university of applied sciences, TAMK can excellently respond to the future challenges of the region and working life,” says Tapio Kujala, who will start as TAMK’s new president in January.
Markku Lahtinen, who has successfully led TAMK for 23 years, will leave his position at the end of 2020.
“TAMK will have an experienced president and Tapio Kujala will get to lead an excellent and developing university of applied sciences. In the autumn, we have time to prepare for the shift taking place at the turn of the year. TAMK will probably also face challenges ahead but we have prepared for them,” says Markku Lahtinen.
- - - - -
- 56 years old
- born in Hamina
- Doctor of Social Sciences, Tampere University, doctoral thesis on the media war in the Middle East – the cross-pressures of journalism in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- career within education and communication
- lives in Sompasaari, Helsinki, will have a second home in Tampere
- a wife and two adult children
- hobbies: reading, endless renovation of the summer cottage, cycling, gym, extreme travelling (before the coronavirus), scooting
- motto: ”The future does not happen, we create it (together)!”