Tampere University confers 244 doctorates and 14 honorary doctorates at its first Conferment Ceremony on 13 August – watch on-site or online
The ceremonial conferment of doctoral degrees is the most prestigious academic celebration and a tradition that spans several centuries. The protocol of the first Conferment Ceremony of the new Tampere University – which was generated through the merger of Tampere University of Technology and the University of Tampere in 2019 – is based on recognising and integrating the traditions of the predecessor universities.
The events of the Conferment of Doctoral Degrees are arranged over three days on 12–14 August. The main event, the Ceremonial Conferment of Doctoral Degrees takes place at Tampere Hall at noon on Saturday 13 August.
At the Conferment Ceremony, doctors and honorary doctors receive the doctoral hat as a symbol of academic freedom and – with the exception of Doctors of Science in Technology or Architecture, Doctors of Philosophy representing the field of technology, and honorary doctors – the doctoral sword. Professor Riittakerttu Kaltiala and Professor Esa Räsänen act as the Conferrers of Degrees.
Watch the ceremony on-site or online
The Conferment Ceremony is an open event. Audience is welcome to the Tampere Hall Main Auditorium without pre-registration.
The audience must be seated in the Main Auditorium by 12:00. Those who arrive late will be directed to the Small Auditorium where they can follow a live stream of the event. Because of the formal event’s estimated duration – more than three hours - groups with small children are also advised to follow the event in the Small Auditorium.
All members of the audience are expected to dress in a formal manner in respect of the prestigious academic celebration: dark-coloured formal attire, no pocket squares, gloves, flashy jewellery or furs. Major decorations and a doctor’s hat are worn, if any. There will be no applause at any point during the conferment ceremony. The audience should not take photographs during the conferment ceremony and mobile phones must be turned off.
Its also possible the watch a live stream of the Conferment Ceremony on the Conferment 2022 website. The recording will be available for viewing for two weeks.
After the Conferment Ceremony, the Conferrers of Degrees honorary doctors, doctors, the University’s management and professors form a procession to walk to Tampere Cathedral for a service. The procession is expected to set off from Tampere Hall at approximately 15:45 and it will follow the route of Yliopistonkatu – Tammelan puistokatu – Kullervonkatu – Erkkilänkatu. The procession can be watched from the pavements along the route.
244 doctors and 14 honorary doctors
A total of 244 doctors, who have earned their degree at the new Tampere University or its predecessors, will be conferred at the all faculties’ joint Conferment Ceremony. The first honorary doctors of the new Tampere University will also be inaugurated.
The title of Honorary Doctor is the highest recognition that a university can award. The new Tampere University has invited persons from Finland and abroad to accept honorary doctorates in recognition of excellence in fields represented at the University and other exceptional scientific, artistic or social merits. In the invitations of Honorary Doctors to the new University’s first doctoral conferment, the focus has also been on work conducted at the interfaces of scientific disciplines
Honorary doctors to be conferred:
- Ana Claudia Arias, Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, United States
- Ban Ki-Moon, Chairman of Ban Ki-moon Foundation for a Better Future, Secretary-General of the United Nations 2007–2016
- Chun Wei Choo, Professor at the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto, Canada
- Bernard Cova, Senior Professor of Marketing, Kedge Business School, France
- Klaske Havik, Professor at the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
- Rauno Ihalainen, Hospital Councellor, Director of Pirkanmaa Hospital District 1995–2019
- Timothy Ingold, Professor Emeritus of Social Anthropology, University of Aberdeen, United Kingdom
- Jarmo Kekäläinen, General Manager, Columbus Blue Jackets, United States
- Elina Knihtilä, actor, Professor of Acting, Theatre Academy, Uniarts Helsinki
- Risto Käkelä, teollisuusneuvos, founder of Avant Tecno Oy
- Mari Pantsar, Director, Sustainability Solutions, Sitra
- Ann Phoenix, Professor of Psychosocial Studies, Institute of Education at University College London, United Kingdom
- Kimmo Pietiläinen, non-fiction writer, translator and publisher, founder of Terra Cognita Oy
- E.M.J. (Sabeth) Verpoorte, Professor at Research Institute of Pharmacy, University of Groningen, the Netherlands