Expert in chemical physics specialized in the analysis of surface and interface phenomena, with emphasis on (photo)catalysis and corrosion, utilizing synchrotron light mediated in situ and operando electron spectroscopy methods.
I completed my PhD in physics in 2013 from Tampere University of Technology, Finland. During my post-doctoral research, I visited Stanford University and SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory working for the Joint Center For Artificial Photosynthesis (JCAP) project in 2014–2015 and had a Postdoctoral Researcher post (Academy of Finland) in 2017–2020 both dedicated on research of photocatalyst materials for solar fuel production. At Tampere University, I have established research activities on artificial photosynthesis including setting up research methods (PEC, ICP-MS, GC) and test protocols to characterize photocatalyst materials. My current research as Senior Research Fellow is focused on atomic layer deposition grown TiO2 based coatings for artificial photosynthesis.
Surface analytical research
- Electron spectroscopy and spectromicroscopy (XPS, APXPS, XPEEM, XAS)
- Quantitative analysis of surface nano-structures using QUASES software package
- Simulation of electron spectra using SESSA software
Synchrotron light mediated research
- Utilization of soft and hard x-ray beamlines for surface and interface science.
- Development of electrochemical reaction cells for APXPS beamlines.
- Annual research visits to synchrotron radiation facilities MAX IV Laboratory (Sweden), Advanced Light Source (USA) and Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (USA) since 2009.
Electrochemistry of surfaces and thin films
- Electrochemical analysis under solar illumination (PEC, CV, EIS)
- Stability analysis by ICP-MS, efficiency analysis by GC
- Spectroelectrochemistry (PEC–ICP-MS)
- Self-designed (SolidWorks®) homemade EC, PEC and PEFC electrochemical reaction cells
- Self-designed test setup for photocatalytic activity of coatings based on MB photodegradation
Fabrication of thin films
- Atomic layer deposition (ALD)
Characterization of thin films
- Optical analysis by UV–Vis spectroscopy
- Modelling of optical filters using OpenFilters software
- Structural analysis by GIXRD and XRR
- Modelling of XRR data using GenX software
Ultra-high vacuum technology
- Hands-on experience with operation and maintenance of ultra-high vacuum (UVH) systems.
Board member of the Finnish Synchrotron Radiation Users' Organization (FSRUO), 2015–2021.