Both Tampere University and Tampere University of Applied Sciences offer a number of scholarships for fee-paying students in order to provide excellent international students with high-quality, yet affordable, education. Scholarships are not available for students in tailored degree education provided for a third party.
In addition, Tampere University cooperates with organisations which provide scholarships to specific groups of applicants. Information on all scholarships available can be found below.
Tampere University seeks to recognise high-achieving, motivated students. Tampere University Scholarships Programme is intended for students who are required to pay tuition fees in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes offered in English. Scholarships are merit-based and may be awarded primarily at admission to the most successful applicants. A limited number of scholarships is available annually. Some scholarships may also be earned during studies.
Scholarships available at admission
- Tampere University tuition fee scholarships cover 100% of the tuition fees for the programme duration. The programme duration is
- three years for Bachelor’s degrees
- two years for Master’s degrees
- five years if the study right is granted for both a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree.
- Early bird scholarships cover 50% of the tuition fee during the first year of studies. This scholarship is available at admission to all fee-paying students, excluding students who have been awarded a Tampere University tuition fee scholarship at admission.
Students may take advantage of the early bird scholarship by accepting the offered study place and paying 50% of the tuition fee within two weeks after receiving information on admission. This offer is valid only for the first year of studies.
How to apply
To be considered for the Tampere University tuition fee scholarship, you must apply for the scholarship as part of your application for admission during the application period for admission. For applicants to Master’s programmes, the application period starts on 9 December 2020 at 8.00 GMT +2 and ends on 13 January 2021 at 15.00 GMT +2. For applicants to Bachelor's programmes, the application period begins on 7 January 2021 at 8.00 GMT +2 and ends on 20 January 2021 at 15.00 GMT +2.
You will apply for Tampere University Scholarships with the same online application you use to apply for admission at Studyinfo.fi. To apply for a scholarship, you will be asked to describe in writing on the application form the academic qualifications which support your merit-based scholarship application and your motivation for applying for a Tampere University scholarship (max. number of characters 3500). No additional attachments are required for the scholarship application.
All application information you submit in your application for admission at Studyinfo.fi, including your educational documents, is available for the admissions committee evaluating your scholarship application. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic overall assessment in which all application information and educational documents as well as the grounds you have given for your scholarship application are taken into consideration and can be decisive. The scholarship applications are processed by admissions committees in the Faculties and a University scholarship council. The decision on the scholarship will be communicated to you together with information on admission.
The early bird scholarship is available to all fee-paying students without a separate application.
Scholarships available in transfer and open university route applications
Fee-paying applicants applying for admission through transfer or open university route applications are eligible to apply for Tampere University tuition fee scholarships at admission. To be considered for the scholarship, you must apply for the scholarship as part of your application for admission in Studyinfo.fi during the application period for admission. Information on transfer and open university applications is available on the web pages of those programmes to which these application routes apply.
Early bird scholarships are not available in transfer or open university route applications.
Scholarships available during studies
- During studies, all fee-paying students are eligible to apply for Tampere University tuition fee scholarships covering 50% of tuition fees. The scholarship is awarded to a fee-paying student who completes at least 60 ECTS credits with a GPA of no less than 3/5 in an academic year. Scholarships are awarded after the first year of studies for one year at a time upon application.
- Tampere University International Advancement Scholarship rewards fee-paying students for making swift progress in studies. It is available annually for students who pay tuition fee for their studies (either full or partial fee, students who are studying on a 100 % tuition fee scholarship are not eligible.
You may be awarded the International Advancement Scholarship if you complete at least 60 ECTS of studies included in your degree within the academic year or graduate from your degree within the target time for completion (three years for a Bachelor's degree and two years for Master's). It is a 1500 € scholarship paid to the student in the autumn semester following the academic year in question or upon graduation. It is possible to earn the scholarship more than once during the normative study time for your degree(s). The Tampere University International Advancement Scholarship is available for students who are admitted to Tampere University in 2021 or later.
The total duration of all Tampere University scholarships may not be longer than the target time for the completion of the degree. The target time for the completion of a bachelor’s degree is three academic years. The target time for the completion of a master’s degree is two academic years.
Please note that students studying in the framework of the following programmes with a scholarship are not eligible for the above-mentioned scholarships:
- the Erasmus Mundus programme
- the Fulbright – Tampere University Graduate Award programme*
* Applicants for the Fulbright – Tampere University Graduate Award are eligible to apply for a Tampere University scholarship at admission while they wait for the decision on the Fulbright award and should do so if they wish to be considered for the Tampere University scholarship in case they are not awarded the Fulbright – Tampere University Graduate Award.
Scholarships for U.S. students: Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Award
The Fulbright Finland Foundation together with Tampere University offer a Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Award for a U.S. student admitted to a Tampere University Master’s programme. The application deadline for the award is typically in early October. Please notice that if you also wish to be considered for Tampere University Scholarships, you must apply for a Tampere University Scholarship in conjunction with your application for admission. Please see the Fulbright Finland Foundation website for more information on the Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Award.
Tampere University of Applied Sciences offers scholarships for tuition fee paying students in all programmes. NB! Scholarships are not available for students in tailored degree education provided for a third party.
Bachelor level programmes
- 50% Early Bird -scholarship waiver for the first year, if acceptance of offered study place and 50% payment of first year tuition fee is done within 7 days of receiving a Conditional Offer Letter.
- Academic Award -scholarship waivers of 25% and 50% in the following years based on credits gained and Finnish language skills test results.
Master level programmes
- -1 500 € Early Bird -scholarship waiver for the first year, if whole year paid in one installment of 9 300 € by 31 May
- Academic Award -scholarship waivers 25% - 50% for the following year (if applicable) based on credits gained in the first year.
Graduating students may qualify for Academic Excellence -scholarships for a variety of reasons: exceptional thesis work, success in practical training or innovative project work. These scholarships are proposed by the head of the degree programme and awarded by the TAMK R&D Fund.
Students can also be sponsored by either family or organisations/companies. TAMK is currently negotiating company sponsorships for future students.