How to apply for exchange studies at Tampere University
Tampere University welcomes you to study with us for a semester or two as an exchange student!
If you are interested in student exchange at Tampere University (city centre campus, Hervanta campus or Kauppi campus), you should start by contacting the International Office at your home university as you have to be officially nominated for student exchange. Exchange students do not pay any tuition fees for their studies. Studies completed at Tampere University will be counted to your home university degree, but remember to discuss the credit transfer with your home university first.
You are eligible to apply if you are studying as a degree student at a university which has a valid agreement on student exchange (such as Erasmus+, Nordplus, ISEP, Ge4, north2north, BCI or bilateral student exchange) with Tampere University (including active agreements with the University of Tampere, UTA, and Tampere University of Technology, TUT). Our new Erasmus+ code is SF TAMPERE17.
Once we have received nominations from our partner universities or exchange programmes, we will send the link to the online application form by email to the nominated students. We will not publish the link to the online application on our website and cannot consider paper applications.
Architecture courses offered in English are almost exclusively on master's degree level. Applicants should therefore have completed their bachelor's degree (or be at least in their 4th year of study) when starting their exchange study period at Tampere University.
Visiting or non-degree free-mover students:
You can participate in an exchange if there is an official agreement between your home university and Tampere University. Unfortunately Tampere University does not accept students outside of these agreements (usually known as visiting or non-degree free-mover students). If your university does not have an agreement with Tampere University please inquire your own international office about what other universities your university has agreements with, or about developing an agreement with Tampere University.
Application and nomination deadlines
Students need to fill in the online application form and submit it with all the required enclosures before the deadline.
Please note that the application is complete and will be processed only after you have followed all the steps of the application system and entered all the required information. Before filling in the online application form, please read carefully the list of required documents and language requirements.
Student exchange application periods:
- 1 - 30 April for autumn semester and whole academic year applications
- 15 September - 15 October for spring semester only
The nomination deadline is two weeks before the application deadline. For detailed nomination instructions, please see the information provided below.
Required application documents
All required documents have to be submitted in English, Finnish or Swedish. Unless your documents are issued in English, Finnish, or Swedish, an official translation into one of these languages must be included. All required documents must be uploaded into the online application system by the application deadline. For programme-specific requirements, please see the information below.
Exchange students must upload the following documents:
- Official transcript of your university records issued by your home university. The document should be signed and stamped by a university official.
- Motivation letter (max. 1 page). Describe why and what you wish to study at Tampere University. Write about your knowledge in the subjects you have taken in your previous studies with reference to the studies you are applying for. Write about your objectives for studying at Tampere University and about your goals after your study period in Tampere. Provide any further information that you feel may be relevant to your application (max. 5,000 characters).
- Preliminary study plan. Please list the courses you are planning to take at Tampere University. Students studying on our Hervanta campus prepare their study plan in our online system and students studying on our city centre or Kauppi campuses may use our Study Programme / Learning Agreement template (pdf). Your final acceptance to the courses will be confirmed at the beginning after your arrival. We recommend you to choose the majority of your courses from the host faculty. Please note that your acceptance to the courses arranged by other faculties cannot be guaranteed, even if you meet the prerequisite requirements. More information: Preliminary study plan.
- Proof of knowledge of English according to the language requirements of Tampere University.
- Passport-size photo
- Portfolio. Students of architecture on our Hervanta campus need to attach a portfolio (pdf) to the online application. The portfolio should give a clear and concise summary of your skills. Your portfolio should start with the most recent project and include projects in a variety of scales, preferably from urban planning or design to architectural details. Building design projects should have clear plans and sections in addition to perspectives or other visualisations. The portfolio layout should be legible on most common computer screens.
The required level of knowledge of English at Tampere University is B2 on Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
For studies within the Degree Programme in English Language, Literature and Translation the requirement is C1. In addition, all students are required to take and pass a language proficiency evaluation test organised by the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication Sciences at the beginning of the semester.
How to prove my knowledge of English?
No proof of knowledge of English is required if you have taken:
- A bachelor's degree in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States, excluding online degrees, with having stayed in the respective country when studying for the bachelor's degree
- Secondary education in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
Also those applicants who are not required to take a language test must have a knowledge of academic English corresponding to the level of our language test score limits.
All other exchange students must submit certificates by the application deadline as follows:
- Certificate of knowledge of English (B2-C1) written by university staff, preferably your English teacher or a score report of one of the following language tests:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) - 92/Internet-based, 580/paper-based
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System) - 6.5 with no individual score below 5.5
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English) - 62
- C2 Proficiency (CPE) - Level C1
- C1 Advanced (CAE) - Grade C
Copies of the test scores are accepted. Please keep in mind that test results are valid only for two years.
Special arrangements and accessibility
If you have a diagnosed illness, learning difficulty or disability, we can make special arrangements to support your studying at Tampere University. Examples of such reasons are deafness, visual impairment or other sensory impairment, dyslexia, panic disorder or Asperger’s syndrome. Please include this information in your application form.
Students coming to Tampere University through the Erasmus+ or Nordplus programme also have the opportunity to apply for an accessibility grant. Please contact your Erasmus+ or Nordplus coordinator of your home university for more information. If you come to Tampere University through an agreement other than Erasmus+ or Nordplus, please inquire about the possibility of applying for an accessibility grant from your home university.
If you have special requests concerning student housing, please contact the Tampere Student Housing Foundation (TOAS).
All applicants must be officially nominated by their home university or student exchange programme coordinator to email@example.com. Our new Erasmus+ code is SF TAMPERE17. The nomination must include the following information for each student, required fields are indicated with *:
- Name of the sending university*:
- Erasmus+ code of the sending university:
- Erasmus+ subject area code:
- Family name*:
- Given name(s)*:
- Date of birth* (dd.mm.yyyy):
- Semester applying for*:
The link to the online application form will be sent to the nominated students by email. We will not publish the link to the online application on our website and cannot consider paper applications.
- 15 April for autumn semester and whole academic year applications
- 30 September for spring semester only
Selection of students
The decisions on acceptance of international exchange students are made by the host faculty or by the International Mobility Services. The selection process takes approximately one month after the application period has ended.
Successful applicants will receive an electronic Letter of Acceptance from the University. Accepted students will be able to download and print the Letter of Acceptance themselves from the Mobility-Online system – we will not send hard copies (or official invitation letters) unless requested.
A letter of invitation from a representative of your study programme is not sufficient to grant you the right to study at Tampere University. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by email.
Academic calendar 2019-2020
The academic year at Tampere University is divided into two semesters consisting of two periods each. All new international students are required to attend the Welcome Week programme.
Autumn semester 2019 (19 Aug - 20 Dec)
- Welcome Week: 19 Aug - 23 Aug
- Teaching period I: 26 Aug - 13 Oct
- Teaching period II: 21 Oct - 20 Dec
Spring semester 2020 (2 Jan - 31 May)
- Welcome Week: 2 Jan - 3 Jan
- Teaching period III: 7 Jan - 23 Feb
- Teaching period IV: 2 Mar - 31 May
Tampere Summer School will be organised 1-16 August 2019. The most up-to-date information is available on the web page Tampere Summer School. Summer school courses are free of charge for exchange students of Tampere University.
If you did not find answers to your questions on these pages, please contact us:
International Mobility Services
+358 294 5211 (switchboard)