Tampere University Student's Handbook
Well-being and coping
Student, what occupies your mind? Find right services and help concerning well-being and coping. Also, see more information and services from Studying section. If you are an exchange student read about exchange student’s health services, well-being and safety from this page. Doctoral student, please see the pages of Doctoral studies to find more information about postgraduate students` well-being.
Please see the current news on the situation in Ukraine at Tampere University from this news article.
I need help with clarifying my life and study situation
You can book an appointment with joint guidance services student counsellor online or contact them by e-mail: studentcounselling.tau [at] tuni.fi.
Check also support offered in Navigaattori!
I am worrying about general well-being matters
In general, you can always contact the student counsellors. If you are unsure who to contact, the student hub Navigaattori will refer you to the appropriate services.
- If you have concerns about your physical or mental health, your first point of contact is the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS). Contact FSHS if you, for example, suffer from acute stress, feel anxious, depressed or exhausted, have trouble sleeping or have other ailments that may necessitate sick leave.
Other support services and information sources:
- Browse the well-being events and groups in the coming academic year: Well-being calendar.
- Would you like to meet new people in the university community? Check out Peer support available!
- Check also Student`s Compass!
- See also the sport services available!
- See also Nyyti ry`s anonymous chats available!
I need help with my physical or mental health, or due to a recent crisis in my life
- If you have concerns about your physical or mental health, your first point of contact is the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS). Contact FSHS if you, for example, suffer from acute stress, feel anxious, depressed or exhausted, have trouble sleeping or have other ailments that may necessitate sick leave. See also list of support services regarding mental health from Nyyti ry`s website.
- If you experience a crisis, contact the local crisis centre Osviitta. Nationally, Crisis counselling is offered by Mieli ry Crisis Helpline & Valoa chatroom and Professional mental health helpline.
- The university chaplains offer confidential individual pastoral care. See also ICCK (The International Congregation of Christ the King, Tampere).
- Domestic violence, how to get help? See Nyyti ry`s list of support services (If you are in immediate danger, phone the emergency services at 112).
- If you fall ill and cannot study, you can take a sick leave. Learn more from websites of Kela.
I am struggling with substance abuse or gambling problems
- Explore the Student Substance Abuse Policy here.
- You can also find helpful information through addictionlink.fi.
If you struggle with gambling, see Peluuri's website.
You can find more support services from Nyyti ry`s website.
I need support with family and relationship issues or with sexuality
See Nyyti ry`s list of support services regarding family and relationships.
You will also find a list of services regarding sexuality and sexual health.
I am unsure who to ask for help or I have difficulties identifying my specific support needs
If you have trouble identifying your specific needs for help or support, please be in contact with joint guidance services student counsellor or contact by e-mail: studentcounselling.tau [at] tuni.fi.
You can also visit Navigaattori! Navigaattori brings the guidance and counselling services closer to students and offers accessible help without prior booking.