Facility includes patch clamp units, fast fluorescence imaging units and several microelectrode array (MEA) formats. These three methods can be combined in one of the setups. In addition, facility includes transretinal electro-retinogram (ERG) system. Also, additional in-house built measurement systems can be combined with aforementioned systems.
All of the systems are located in rooms specifically designed for electrophysiological measurements. The laboratory is equipped with dedicated cell culture room to enable repeatable measurements in high purity, contrast phase and fluorescence microscopes for additional sample imaging etc. It also contains work bench area where other experimental designs and test experiments can be performed in a designated incubator. Data analysis stations are available for detailed fast imaging and patch clamp analysis in the office premises.
Current applications areas:
- patch clamp, fast fluorescence imaging, and MEA with human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells derived neural cells and cardiomyocytes
- patch clamp and fast fluorescence imaging with human pluripotent stem cell derived retinal epithelial pigmented cells
- combined patch clamp and fast fluorescence imaging human pluripotent stem cell derived retinal epithelial pigmented cells and cardiomyocytes
- combined fast fluorescence imaging and MEA with human pluripotent stem cell derived neural cells
- fast fluorescence imaging with human retinal pigment epithelial cell line (ARPE-19 cells)
- MEA with ex vivo retina (mouse/rat origin)
Agendo booking system is used for the microscopes.
All the users of the Tampere facility of Electrophysiological Measurements services are obligated to acknowledge the facility in publications: “The authors acknowledge the Tampere facility of Electrophysiological Measurements for their service.”