As doctoral researcher NOVI unit, my current focus is on Micro-credentials from organisational perspective through the lens of knowledge management. Research is done as part of one the EU Commission initiatives, ECIU University (a Consortium of 14 European universities). My current work involves working with the ECIU alliance partners in figuring out best way to offer and issue micro-credentials to all learners and how these micro-credentials can be used to enhance learner understanding of their competences and skills thus opening them to flexible learning pathways to achieve their goals. My work involves working closely with EDC (European Digital Credentials) and understand how and what information can be included into the micro-credentials. In order to issue the micro-credentials, work with different work packages in developing custom ECIU Competence Taxonomy. Using this taxonomy and relevant information included in all learning offerings by ECIU partners, include rich metadata such as competences learners might achieve by successfully finishing the learning opportunities and ESCO skills associated with those competences into the micro-credentials . Working with different micro-credentialing technologies and platforms such as European BlockChain Services Infrastructure (EBSI) and European Digital Credentials for Learners (EDCL) to understand how tamper-proof micro-credentials can be issued to learners and barriers to adopt such technologies by Higher Education Institutions (HEIS).
As a "passion" project, I like working in XR (Extended reality) field especially in usage of VR and AR as an educational tool.
Before becoming doctoral researcher, I worked in Silicon Valley (California) for more than a decade in multiple wireless technologies in various capacities including Director of Engineering. I was also an entrepreneur both in Finland and USA in educational technology field. I am a Maker, Voluntary science teacher conducting challenge-based projects in schools, science advisor for younger students, and always curious to learn new things.
- Kiiskilä, Padmasheela, Ahmed Hanafy, and Henri Pirkkalainen. "Features of micro-credential platforms in higher education." (2022)
- Kiiskilä, Padmasheela, Arttu Kukkonen, and Henri Pirkkalainen. "Are Micro-Credentials Valuable for Students? Perspective on Verifiable Digital Credentials." SN Computer Science 4.4 (2023): 366.
- Kiiskilä, Padmasheela, Otto Hylli, and Henri Pirkkalainen. "HOW CAN EUROPEAN BLOCKCHAIN SERVICES INFRASTRUCTURE BE USED FOR MANAGING EDUCATIONAL DIGITAL CREDENTIALS?." (2023)
- Method and apparatus for selecting a directional antenna in a wireless communication system (Patent)
- Method and System for Providing a Network Protocol for Utility Services(Patent)
- Kiiskilä, P., Kukkonen, A. & Pirkkalainen, H., 2023, In: SN Computer Science. 4, 4, 16 p., 366.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Scientific › peer-review
- Kiiskilä, P., Hanafy, A. & Pirkkalainen, H., 2022, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Computer Supported Education: Volume 1, CSEDU 2022. Cukurova, M., Rummel, N., Gillet, D., McLaren, B. & Uhomoibhi, J. (eds.). Science and Technology Publications (SciTePress), p. 81-91 11 p. (International Conference on Computer Supported Education, CSEDU - Proceedings).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution › Scientific › peer-review