TAU Imaging Research Platform - Call for Visiting Scholars 2024
Imaging is a transdisciplinary discipline of high importance and strong industrial and societal relevance, which has been the focus of excellent fundamental and applied research and education at Tampere University (TAU). It encompasses and bridges the physics of light and other electromagnetic waves, optical materials and structures, sensors transforming light into electrical and digital signals, comprehensive signal processing methods to enable computational image formation, restoration, and automated analysis and interpretation. Our approach to modern imaging is heavily based on new physical principles, sophisticated mathematical models, as well as powerful computing platforms that enable real-time processing of an ever-greater amount of data.
The profiling activities in the area have been coordinated within the TAU Imaging Research Platform, which has received funding from the Research Council of Finland with the following goals:
- Strengthen imaging as a fundamental and applied research field in TAU
- Develop a research platform that offers advanced imaging as a service across the university, and effectively engage all individuals and units that make use of imaging and thus supercharge image-based scientific investigation at TAU
- Leverage and support existing research infrastructure
- Develop research-based education and training in imaging to sustain academic excellence and competitiveness of the local imaging industry
In pursuing these goals, the TAU Imaging Platform has opened a call for visiting scholars. The duration of each visit is up to 3 months. Long visits that synergistically complement the imaging research at TAU will be prioritized. Visits should occur during 2024 and be hosted by a research team at TAU.
Visiting scholars should hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and be independent researchers (e.g., senior postdoc, junior group leader, tenured or tenure-track professors) active in a relevant field. Visiting scholars can be accompanied by one of their doctoral students.
The covered expenses include travel costs, accommodation in the University's guest apartments, and per diem. We will provide office space and access to the University’s services, including network and computing infrastructure, as well as access to the University's labs and infrastructure where relevant.
Two-page proposals are submitted by TAU PIs or postdoctoral researchers who are going to act as hosts of the visitors. The proposals should address the following:
- Host name and description of the research area
- Name, home university, and field of science of the invited visiting scholar
- Scope of the visit and joint activities during the visit
- Planned time of the visit and schedule
- Project budget (template available here)
Proposals must be submitted in PDF format by email to imaging [at] tuni.fi with the subject line [TAU Imaging Call for Mobility 2024]. The closing date for applications is 30.01.2024 (anywhere on Earth). Proposals must be written in English. This is the first call in a series of calls for mobility in 2024.
For any further information, please contact imaging [at] tuni.fi