The user is required to have a basic understanding of operating in a command line environment.
Before setting up a new website, browse the alternatives offered by Tampere Universities and consult with the Communications unit (viestinta.tau [at] tuni.fi ( )or viestinta.tamk [at] tuni.fi).
Student organizations in the university community can order their own website in the webpages.tuni.fi environment.
Websites created with the webpages.tuni.fi service can receive a short URL in the format tuni.fi/xxx, provided that the website features the logo of Tampere Universities and is in line with the visual identity guidelines.
Software and support
The web hosting services includes the following:
- web server
- the MariaDB database
- PHP/Perl/Python support
- SSH/SFTP connection to the serve
- TUNI single sign-on (Shibboleth)
- back-up copies
- server upgrades and maintenance
The web hosting services does not include the following:
- support for creating the website
- Java/Tomcat support
Site owner’s responsibilities
- The site owner is solely responsible for the costs of creating and maintaining the site. For example, the timeliness of software installed on the site (e.g. WordPress) and its add-ons, and the installation of patch updates.
- The site owner is responsible for the accessibility, data protection and GDPR compliance of the site.
Request a new website
Send an email to it-helpdesk [at] tuni.fi ( )
- Email subject line: New website for webpages.tuni.fi
- Website name in Finnish and English:
- Short description of the site in Finnish and English:
- Responsible persons: site owners and technical responsible persons:
- Responsibility unit:
- Is a database required:
- Estimated website lifespan:
- Possible redirection from an old website; URL of the old website
After sending the request, the site owner will receive instructions for setting up the website and more information about usernames and access rights.
Instructions for granting and revoking update privileges
- Sign in at id.tuni.fi. Please note! You need to set up a VPN connection if you are working from home.
- Select Identity Management > Manage user rights/User rights administration
- Select the site and the category of user rights > View
- To grant the selected right to a user, go to Users > Add User.
- Type the user’s name or email address as a search term.
- Click Add+ to add the person to the list of authorised users.
- Confirm the addition by choosing Grant user right.
It will take 24 hours for the changes to take effect.
Instructions for requesting update privileges
Site owners are able to grant update privileges to users. If you do not know who the site owner is, send an inquiry to it-helpdesk [at] tuni.fi.
+358 294 520 500
it-helpdesk [at] tuni.fi