I am leading the Ultrafast Photoncis research group. Our group carries out experimental, numerical, and theoretical research on ultrafast photonics and applications including:
- Ultrafast light sources with tailored properties and supercontinuum generation
- Fiber-optics and nonlinear instabilities
- Ultrafast laser dynamics
- Ultrafast characterization techniques
We also combine artifical intelligence with fibre-optics technology to design smart laser sources and for improved ultrafast light diagnostics. We apply our research for better understanding of light-matter interactions and nonlinear science as well as to the development of novel sensing and imaging approaches and in parrticular in the mid-infrared. Our group is always happy to collaborate. Do not hesitate to contact us!
I am also the Director of the Flagship for Photonics Research and Innovation (PREIN) awarded in 2019 by the Academy of Finland. The Flagship is a joint national program for Photonics multi-disciplinary science and technology development, including Tampere University, Aalto University, Un iversity of Eastern Finland and VTT and involving more than 50 professors and 400 researchers.
Director of Academy of Finland Flagship for Photonics Research and Innovation (PREIN)
Director of Finnish national infrastructure for light-based technologies (FinnLight)
Director of International MSc Program in Photonics Technologies
Fields of expertise
- Establishment of the Ultarfast Photoncis Group, a great team of talented researchers
- All the wonderful colleagues I have got the chace to collaborate with over the past 15 years
- The many actions we have implemented to promote science and photonics education to school children within the framework of PREIN
- Laureate of IUPAP Young Scientist International Prize in Optics in 2011
- Elected Fellow of the Optical Society of America in 2017
- Laureate of the Physics Prize of Finnish Academy of Science and Letters in 2019
- Author or co-authors of comprehensive reviews articles accessible to non-experts and starting researchers in Reviews of Modern Physics, Nature Photonics and Nature Reviews Physics on various topics including supercontinuum generation, nonlinear instablities and rogue waves, machine learning applications to ultrafast photonics.
Main positions of trust
- 2016-2017 Invited professor University of Burgundy Franche-Comté, France (3 months)
- 2015- Professor Tampere University, Laboratory of Photonics
- 2012-2014 Associate Professor Tampere University of Technology, Laboratory of Photonics
- 2009-2014 Academy Research Fellow Tampere University of Technology, Optics Laboratory
- 2007-2009 Senior Researcher Tampere University of Technology, Laboratory of Photonics
- 2004-2007 Postdoctoral researcher, Helsinki University of Technology, Metrology Research Institute
- 2004 PhD degree Helsinki University of Technology, Metrology Research Institute, Finland
- 1998 M.Sc. degree Ecole Supérieure d’Optique (Institute of Optics Graduate School), Orsay, France
- L. Salmela, N. Tsipinakis, A. Foi, C. Billet, J. M. Dudley, and G. Genty, " Predicting ultrafast nonlinear dynamics in fibre optics with a recurrent neural network ," Nature Machine Intelligence (2021).
- G. Genty, L. Salmela, J. M. Dudley, D. Brunner, A. Kokhanovskiy, S. Kobtsev, and S. K. Turitsyn, " Machine learning and applications in ultrafast photonics ," Nature Photonics 15, 91–101(2021).
- J. M. Dudley, G. Genty, A. Mussot, A. Chabchoub, and F. Dias, “Rogue waves and analogies in optics and oceanography ,” Nature Reviews Physics 1, 675–689 (2019). 0
- M. Närhi, L. Salmela, J. Toivonen, C. Billet, J. M. Dudley, and G. Genty, “Machine learning analysis of extreme events in optical fibre modulation instability ,” Nature Communications 9, 4923 (2018).
- P. Ryczkowski, M. Närhi, C. Billet, J.-M. Merolla, G. Genty, J. M. Dudley, “Real-time full-field characterization of transient dissipative soliton dynamics in a mode-locked laser ,” Nature Photonics 12, 221-227 (2018).
- M. Närhi, B. Wetzel, C. Billet, S. Toenger, T. Sylvestre, J.-M. Merolla, R. Morandotti, F. Dias, G. Genty, and J. M. Dudley, “Real-time measurements of spontaneous breathers and rogue wave events in optical fibre modulation instability ,” Nature Communications 7, 13675 (2016).
- P. Ryczkowski, M. Barbier, A. T. Friberg, J. M. Dudley, and G. Genty, “Ghost imaging in the time domain ,” Nature Photonics 10, 167-170 (2016).
- J. M. Dudley, F. Dias, M. Erkintalo, and G. Genty, “Instabilities, breathers and rogue waves in optics ,” Nature Photonics 8, 755–764 (2014).
- G. Genty, S. Coen, and J.M. Dudley, “Fiber supercontinuum source s,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B 24, 1771-1785 (2007).
- J. M. Dudley, G. Genty, and S. Coen, “Supercontinuum generation in photonic crystal fiber ,” Review Modern Physics 78, 1135-1184 (2006).