Among the fields of science, Social Psychiatry is situated between medicine and social sciences and it takes a multidisciplinary approach to mental health issues.
Social Psychiatry studies the demographic, social and cultural dimensions of mental health and mental health disorders. The main topics of research in our group are:
- Epidemiology of mental disorders
- Societal dimensions of mental health, including factors related to work capacity and social exclusion
- Research on psychiatric service systems
- The impact of socio-economic factors on mental health, access to services and related mortality
- Social and cultural meanings of mental health and mental health disorders
Social Psychiatry Group
The Social Psychiatry Group is the only academic research and teaching unit of its kind in Finland. The group contributes to the societal debate and development work on mental health as an expert through position papers, various working groups, and working with stakeholders.