Student tutors are part of student counselling wholeness. Student tutors help our newly admitted students get to know each other and familiarise themselves with their new environment, their field of study and student life.
A student tutor is assigned to all new students who join TAMK to attend full-time studies and earn a bachelor’s degree. Student tutors work together with teacher tutors. There are three types of student tutors:
- Peer tutors are usually second-year students who welcome new students to TAMK on their first day on campus. Peer tutors offer advice and support to new students throughout their first year at TAMK. Peer tutors meet and arrange activities for their tutees on a regular basis.
- Degree tutors perform the same activities as peer tutors, but they are international degree students whose mother tongue is not Finnish.
- International tutors offer advice and support for incoming exchange students throughout their exchange period.
The Student Union of Tampere University of Applied Sciences (Tamko) coordinates student tutoring activities. Tamko trains all tutors to ensure that the institutional goals for student tutoring are met. Tamko collaborates with the student counsellors of degree programmes and the head of learning and wellbeing support services.
Students who complete the training provided by Tamko and serve as student tutors are eligible to receive credits. These credits are included in their freely elective studies.
- Tamko: Satu Hiltunen, Expert, Tutoring
- TAMK: Merja Hanhimäki, Head of Learning and Wellbeing Support Services