Tampere University Press
Tampere University Press was established in 1994, and has since published more than 350 books. In the beginning of 2016, we switched to an Open Access business model. Our objective is, for our part, to promote the availability of scholarly literature and the societal impact of research.
Tampere University Press is:
- the first Open Access book publisher established in Finland
- a member of the Association of European University Presses (AEUP) and the Finnish Association for Scholarly Publishing
- indexed in the Directory of Open Access Books
- indexed in Finnish library databases
- rated on level 1 in the Publication Forum classification (JUFO)
- rated on level 1 in the publication channel registers of Norway and Denmark
To foster research integrity and open science Tampere University Press has published its own Data and Materials Policy.
What do we publish?
We publish scholarly monographs and edited volumes in Finnish, English and Swedish. We are interested in manuscripts on topical issues in the fields of social sciences and humanities. We do not publish, for example, general non-fiction, project reports, or previously published works.
Submit your manuscript
To discuss preliminarily on timetables and the topic of your book, please contact us first by email tup(at)tuni.fi.
Why Open Access?
Open Access means that publications are available online – to everyone and free of charge. Instead of sales or subscription profits, publishing activities are funded with so-called book processing charges (BPCs) paid by the authors or, more likely, the authors’ institution or funder.
The popularity of Open Access is growing because:
- Open Access publications are available to everyone; including the general public, decision-makers, journalists, teachers and other practitioners worldwide
- Open Access publications make excellent course books, as their availability is not limited by the number of physical copies or user licenses
- Authors do not lose copyright on their own work
- Open access publications are used and cited more than publications that are behind paywall
- Many research funders and organizations recommend or even require the open publication of research output.
TUP editorial board
TUP's Editorial board provides expert advice on content, proposes peer reviewers for submitted manuscripts, attracts new authors and encourages submissions.
Editorial board 2019-2021
- Professor Vuokko Niiranen (chair), University of Eastern Finland
- Senior Researcher, Docent Taru Haapala, University of Jyväskylä and Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- Professor Katariina Holma, University of Oulu
- Professor Mikko Keskinen, University of Jyväskylä
- Professor Harri Melin, Tampere University
- Professor Elina Pirjatanniemi, Åbo Akademi
- Library Director Riitta Lähdemäki, Tampere University
Saija Tapio, Information Specialist
Susanna Nykyri, Manager
Sirpa Randell, Information Services Advisor
Merita Rajala, Information Services Advisor