Tampere University Library
Tampere University Press
Tampere University Press was established in 1994, and has since published more than 350 books. In the beginning of 2016, we switched to an Open Access business model. Our objective is, for our part, to promote the availability of scholarly literature and the societal impact of research.
To foster research integrity and open science Tampere University Press has published its own Data and Materials Policy.
Follow @TUP_UniPress on Twitter
Tampere University Press is:
- the first fully Open Access book publisher established in Finland
- a member of the Association of European University Presses (AEUP) and the Finnish Association for Scholarly Publishing
- indexed in the Directory of Open Access Books
- indexed in Finnish library databases
- rated on level 1 in the Finnish Publication Forum classification (JUFO)
- rated on level 1 in the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers
We publish scholarly monographs and edited volumes in Finnish, English and Swedish, focusing solely on research literature since 2019. We are interested in manuscripts on topical issues in the fields of social sciences and humanities. We do not publish, for example, general non-fiction, project reports, or previously published works.
Publish with TUP
TUP welcomes submissions from all scholars, regardless of affiliation or country of origin. To discuss preliminarily on timetables and the topic of your book manuscript, please contact us first by email tup [at] tuni.fi.
Why Open Access?
Open Access means that research publications are available online, free of charge or other access barriers. Open Access is growing in importance because:
- Open Access publications are available to everyone; including the general public, decision-makers, journalists, teachers and other practitioners worldwide.
- Open Access publications make excellent course books, as their availability is not limited by the number of physical copies or user licenses.
- Authors retain copyright on their work, and can decide on its uses.
- Open access publications are used and cited more than publications that are behind paywall.
- Many research funders and organizations recommend or even require the open publication of research output.
TUP's Editorial Board provides expert advice on content, proposes peer-reviewers for submitted manuscripts, attracts new authors, suggests revisions, and gives final approval to manuscripts before publishing.
Editorial Board for term 2022-2024
- Chairperson: Dean Päivi Pahta, Tampere University, Finland
- Postdoctoral researcher, associate professor Jonne Arjoranta, University of Jyväskylä, Finland
- University lecturer, associate professor Outi Autti, University of Oulu, Finland
- Professor Isto Huvila, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Professor Mikko Keskinen, University of Jyväskylä, Finland
- Researcher Anna Kronlund, University of Jyväskylä, Finland
- Library director Riitta Lähdemäki, Tampere University, Finland
- Professor emerita Vuokko Niiranen, University of Eastern Finland
- Professor emeritus Eero Pantzar, Tampere University, Finland
- Professor Elina Pirjatanniemi, Åbo Akademi University, Finland
- University lecturer, associate professor Anne Soronen, Tampere University, Finland
- Vice chairperson: Professor Timo Toikko, University of Eastern Finland