Moving to Tampere
Necessary documents to have with you
There are few documents that you will need once you have arrived to Finland. In order to have all the necessary things, please make sure you will have the following with you.
- Passport / Official EU Identification card
- Residence permit (for Non EU/EEA nationals)
- Apply for the residence permit online via enterfinland.fiThe correct application for all research positions is residence permit for researcher.
- Attach a Hosting Agreement to accompany your application. Please contact your host or our HR Services international-hr [at] tuni.fi for the Hosting Agreement.
- Once you have completed the online application, book an appointment for finalizing your application.
- Please wait for the decision and the residence permit card.
- Once you have received your residence permit, please let us know when you are arriving to Tampere
- Residence permit (for Family members)
- We recommend to apply the residence permits for all family members simultaneously. This way the applications will be processed together and the handling will be faster. See enterfinland.fi for more information on residence permits based on family ties
- Registrations of EU nationals and their family members (for EU nationals)
- All the arrangements can be done after arriving to Finland. See further information on the notification for EU nationals
How to apply for a residence permit in Finland (video)How to prepare for a visit to a service point – for residence permit customers (video)What happens at the service desk when you apply for a residence permit? (video)
Other necessary documents
- Original degree certificates with an official English translation
- Arriving with family:
- Original marriage certificate and original birth certificates of your children with an official translation in English and an ApostilleWhat is an Apostille certificate?
Social security and insurances
We recommend to take a health insurance for you and possible family members accompanying you before arriving to Finland. Having an insurance for the beginning of your stay will ensure that you are covered until all the arrangements in Finland are completed.
More information regarding the Social Security Institution of Finland Kela
Finding a home
Tampere has a variety of different housing opportunities to accommodate different ways of living. From lively city atmosphere to the peaceful country side living, Tampere has it all. It's a good idea to find a temporary place to live first e.g. University guest apartment, and when you are here, to start active house hunting. Please ask our HR team for more advice!
Where to begin house hunting?
Don't worry, we will help you all the way!
Our HR team helps you all the way in your relocation process. When you have any questions, whether big or small, do not hesitate to contact us:
international-hr [at] tuni.fi.
Please also check Guide for International Researchers and their Families, you might find the information you are looking for there.
Our spouse programme Hidden Gems
Hidden Gems initiative is an international spouse programme in Tampere region. It supports dual-career spouses. If you are moving together with your spouse, our Hidden Gems activities offer your partner help in finding a way into the Finnish society and labour market.
Other useful links
Relocation Guide to Tampere (City of Tampere website)
International House Tampere (City of Tampere website)
International Tampere (City of Tampere website)
Guide for International Researchers and their Families (guidebook on relocating to Finland)