Skip to main content
Autumn view in Pispala

Moving to Tampere

Moving to a new country can be sometimes overwhelming with all the small bits and pieces to remember. We are here to smoothen the way and make sure you remember the essentials.

Before arrival

Necessary documents to have with you

There are few documents that you will need once you have arrived to Finland. In order to have all the necessary things, please make sure you will have the following with you.

If you are a citizen of an EU Member State, Liechtenstein or Switzerland:

  • Passport / Official EU Identification card
  • Original marriage certificate and original birth certificates of your children, if you are arriving with your family (more info here)
  • European Health Insurance Card

After you have arrived in Finland, you need to do a registration of the right of residence of a citizen of the European Union at the Finnish Immigration Service. You can find video instructions here.

Please note that if you are a Nordic citizen (citizen of Denmark, Iceland, Norway or Sweden), register your personal data at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. Nordic citizens do not need to apply for EU registration at the Finnish Immigration Service.


  • Passport
  • Residence permit (for Non EU/EEA nationals)
    • Apply for the residence permit online via enterfinland.fiThe correct application for all research positions is residence permit for researcher.
    • Attach a Hosting Agreement to accompany your application. Please contact your host or our HR Services international-hr [at] (international-hr[at]tuni[dot]fi) for the Hosting Agreement.
    • Once you have completed the online application, book an appointment for finalizing your application.
    • Please wait for the decision and the residence permit card.
    • Once you have received your residence permit, please let us know when you are arriving to Tampere

How to apply for a residence permit in Finland (video)How to prepare for a visit to a service point – for residence permit customers (video)What happens at the service desk when you apply for a residence permit? (video)

Other necessary documents

  • Original degree certificates with an official English translation
  • Arriving with family:
    • Original marriage certificate and original birth certificates of your children with an official translation in English and an ApostilleWhat is an Apostille certificate?

Social security and insurances

We recommend to take a health insurance for you and possible family members accompanying you before arriving to Finland. Having an insurance for the beginning of your stay will ensure that you are covered until all the arrangements in Finland are completed.

More information regarding the Social Security Institution of Finland Kela

Finding a home

Tampere has a variety of different housing opportunities to accommodate different ways of living. From lively city atmosphere to the peaceful countryside living, Tampere has it all. It's a good idea to find a temporary place to live first, and when you are here, to start active house hunting.

Here are a few easy options for short-term housing:

Here you can find a full list of housing options and other useful information:

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you need help or have any questions: international-hr [at] (international-hr[at]tuni[dot]fi)


Don't worry, we will help you all the way!

Our HR team helps you all the way in your relocation process. When you have any questions, whether big or small, do not hesitate to contact us:
international-hr [at] (international-hr[at]tuni[dot]fi).

Please also check Guide for International Researchers and their Families, you might find the information you are looking for there.

Our spouse programme Hidden Gems

Hidden Gems initiative is an international spouse programme in Tampere region. It supports dual-career spouses. If you are moving together with your spouse, our Hidden Gems activities offer your partner help in finding a way into the Finnish society and labour market.