Register as a new student
Registering for first academic year
All students must register for each academic year - either present or absent. Please note that first-year students can only register as absent on statutory grounds specified at the bottom of the page.
Tuition fee paying students:
Your registration is completed when you pay the first installment of your tuition fee from the following link :
Please check the details on tuition fees and scholarship options on the registration form. After payment and registration is received, you will receive a signed and stamped Acceptance Letter in order to proceed with your immigration process.
You can register when confirming your study place in Opintopolku / Studyinfo The link will appear after you confirm your study place.
Absence in the first year of studies
First-year students can only register as absent on statutory grounds (source: Polytechnics Act 325/2015 § 29-30):
- to complete Finnish national service in accordance with the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Voluntary Military Service for Women (194/1995); Supporting document to be sent to email@example.com : The Finnish assignment to service to demonstrate that the service will be completed during the academic year
- if on maternity, paternity or parental leave; Supporting document to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org : Kela’s certificate of maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if one is not yet available, a medical certificate of the pregnancy. Paternity leave can only be demonstrated with Kela’s certificate. Equivalent certificates of statutory parental leaves given by foreign authorities are also accepted.
- if unable to begin the studies due to an illness or disability. Supporting document to be sent to email@example.com : The Finnish sickness allowance decision or, if not available, a medical certificate. The illness or disability as well as the fact that it prevents beginning the studies on 1 August 2019 has to be stated on the medical certificate. Sufficient documentation of obstacles caused by practical arrangements related to the illness or disability, for example a student housing foundation’s certificate of queuing for a special needs flat. The student’s personal notification is not enough. It also has to be demonstrated how the issue will be handled. Disability is a permanent state and thus it is not enough to refer to the disability. There has to be temporary disability-related grounds for absence.
- Education and teaching | Supervision of students | General guidelines for supervision
- Student's guide | Starting your studies | Orientation
- Student's guide | Starting your studies | Studying in Tampere
- Student's guide | Services and Regulations for students | Study regulations
- Student's guide | Studying | Planning studies and guidance