Applying to Tampere University doctoral programmes
Instructions in brief
- Carefully read through the admissions requirements for your doctoral programme.
- Draft a research plan (incl. preliminary plans on research data schedule, and funding) before contacting a prospective supervisor, so that they may get a good idea of your research topic before they agree to be your supervisor.
- When you have a supervisor, re-check the admission requirements and instructions and prepare to apply in Studyinfo.fi
Before contacting a prospective supervisor, please think through the following questions
- Why do you want to become a doctoral student and complete a doctoral degree?
- In which field do you want to create new knowledge?
- What learning needs do you have in that research field?
- What learning needs do you have on scientific methods?
- Which empirical problem or a question you have in mind for (a) research question(s) and to which scientific field they belong?
- From where and how are you intending to acquire your research data?
- What is your intended schedule for completing your doctoral dissertation, i.e. when do you think you will have your public defence?
- How much of your time are you able to dedicate for your studies and writing your doctoral dissertation?
- How does your work community and your situation in life support your doctoral studies?
- Explore different ways of funding and plan how to fund your research?
Admissions reguirements and application periods
These programmes have continuous application process in autumn and spring.
The autumn application period: 1 August – 30 November 2023, 15:00 Finnish time.
Most of the programmes announce results once a month, latest on the last workday of the month, except in December when the results are announced already by 20 December. Please see details on the admissions criteria of each programme.
- Doctoral Programme in the Built Environment (RYTO)
- Doctoral Programme of Computing and Electrical Engineering (DPCEE)
- Doctoral Programme in Engineering and Natural Sciences (TLTO)
- Doctoral Programme in Engineering Sciences (TTITO)
For the Doctoral Programme of Humans and Technologies
The second application period in autumn 2023: 2 September 2023 – 2 November 2023, 15:00 Finnish time.
The results are announced latest 30 November 2023
Please see details on the admission in the academic year 2023-2024 the admissions criteria of the programme.
Application period twice a year (application periods in April and October)
These programmes have admission twice a year.
The October application period: 2 – 31 October 2023, 15:00 Finnish time.
Results of October application period are announced by 15 December.
Exception: Doctoral Programme in Business and Technology Management application period 1 August –16 October 2023, 15:00 Finnish time.
- Doctoral Programme in Administrative Sciences, Business Studies and Politics (DPHKP)
- Doctoral Programme in Business and Technology Management (TOTO) – application period 1 August – 16 October, 15:00 Finnish time.
- Doctoral Programme of Education and Society (DPEDU)
- Doctoral Programme in Health Sciences (DPHS)
- Doctoral Programme in History (DPHI)
- Doctoral Programme in Language Studies (DPLA)
- Doctoral Programme in Literary Studies (DPLS)
- Doctoral Programme in Medicine (DPMD)
- Doctoral Programme in Media, Communication and Performing Arts (DPMCP)
- Doctoral Programme in Philosophy (DPPH)
- Doctoral Programme in Psychology and Logopedics (DPPL)
- Doctoral Programme in Social Sciences (DPSS)
Application period every other year
The application period for IPPE was organised 14 November – 15 December 2022, 15:00 Finnish time.