Skip to main content
TAMK Student's Handbook

Student health insurance for exchange students

Citizens of EU/EEA/EFTA countries

Citizens of EU/EEA countries should acquire a European Health Insurance Card (EHEC) from their home countries prior to coming to Finland. By presenting your European Health Insurance Card, you will receive necessary acute medical treatment in public hospitals/clinics on the same terms as the local residents. 

Additional Health Insurance: Because the European Health Insurance Card is not sufficient for non-acute medical treatment, TAMK highly recommends that all exchange students take a personal travel and health insurance, covering at least acute illnesses and accidents before departure to Finland. If you do not have a European Health Insurance Card, a relevant valid document nor an insurance policy, you will be charged the full costs for the services (the actual expenses of medical care). TAMK is not responsible for any medical charges incurred by its students or by a possible pandemic outbreak.

For more information, please see Exchange student’s health services and well-being

Citizens of non-EU/EEA/EFTA countries

If you are a non-EU/EEA/EFTA national, you are required to take out an insurance policy when you apply for a residence permit. Further information on insurances is available on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service.

Published: 26.6.2019
Updated: 1.11.2023