Mentoring programmes at Tampere University
Mentoring offers you opportunities to
- develop your communication skills
- familiarise yourself with principles of coaching
- expand your network of professional contacts through other mentors and mentees
- share your thoughts and experiences with motivated students and graduates in your field
- connect with potential future employees and talented, international professionals
We are looking for mentors who are:
- professionals in their own field
- interested in different countries and intercultural communication
- working in the private or public sector
- functional English
- working in the Tampere region or are ready to travel to joint meetings
- experienced with at least of 3 years of work in Finland
- still actively in the work market
- committed to the programme
Mentoring takes place on a voluntary basis. All three mentoring programmes are running in academic year 2021-2022. The mentors are paired up with mentees and they meet face-to-face about five times. In addition, all programmes include 2-4 group sessions for all mentors and mentees.
If you found these opportunities interesting, then mentoring is for you! Read more about the programmes and apply for the one that suits you best. On top of all, you will have an unforgettable experience.
Finland can be challenging to get started with your professional life as an international, especially if you are left without resources. If you would like to offer help to an international newcomer and to gain new skills and networks at the same time, join the International Talents´ or Hidden Gems mentoring programme and become a mentor!
Our mentoring programmes
Interested to apply as a mentee to the International Talents´Mentoring Programme?
The International Talents’ Mentoring Programme is aimed for for international degree students at Tampere Universities or other international talents who have graduated from studies somewhere else, moved to Tampere and are looking to start their careers here. In this programme, mentoring is done one-on-one, i.e. each mentor is paired with one mentee.
The mentoring programme is organized and coordinated by Tampere University. The mentoring programme is conducted in English. The programme starts in January 2022 and ends in April 2022. During the programme, mentees are paired up with mentors and they meet face-to-face (on-line or live) about five times. In addition, the programme includes four group sessions for all mentors and mentees:
- Orientation for Mentees 19.1.2022 at 16.30-18.00, Zoom
- Kick-Off Meeting 26.1.2022 at 18.00-20.00, LIVE
- Mid-Programme Meeting 16.3.2022 at 16.30-18.00, Zoom
- Wrap-up Meeting Tuesday 27.4.2022 at 18.00-20.00, LIVE
Locations for the live meeting are to be confirmed. The group meetings are all facilitated by career psychologist Mariska Roelofs. Mariska is an experienced professional who knows the mentoring programme well and is herself an international, having come to Finland from the Netherlands in 2011. She believes in an interactive approach, focusing on a pleasant, open atmosphere where everyone can feel at ease and learn from each other.
Apply by filling in the mentee application form on -line. Pay special attention to the motivation letter in the application. The application is open until 31 of October 2021. All applicants will be contacted by the end of November.
The first Talent Tampere mentoring programme was implemented in 2010-2011 by WorkPlace Pirkanmaa project. The concept has gained nationwide popularity and has been used as a benchmark by other universities around Finland.