Remote use of software
The remote use of software means the use of software for teaching or working from another platform than a computer hosted by TUNI.
The maintained computers include the computers in computer labs and most of the employees’ work computers.
Remote access to the software is enabled via the user’s own terminal device, such as a computer, tablet device or smart phone. The remote access options are:
Installing software on your computer
- Some of the software used in studying can be installed directly on the user’s own device allowing access to the software from a familiar device regardless of time or location.
- A list of available software and instructions for each.
Using software on your computer via the TUNI Virtual Desktop service
- The TUNI Virtual Desktop is a service that allows you to use the same programmes on your own computer that you have previously used on a computer in a computer class. The software is installed on a virtualisation platform to which you connect from your computer. Students, staff and people with an extended resource agreement can log in to the service with their TUNI ID. So, all you need is a computer, an internet connection and your TUNI ID
- Read more about application virtualisation
Benefits and opportunities of remote use
Remote access to software enables
- studying from any location with one’s own familiar device
- using same software for both contact and distance learning
- the possibility to make more versatile use of teaching facilities other than computer classrooms for distance learning
- hybrid teaching with some students learning remotely and others in contact teaching
- distance learning where all the students study remotely
- the secure processing of sensitive information on a virtual desktop without the need to transfer information locally to a personal workstation.
Restrictions on the remote use of software
The remote use of software may be restricted by:
- software licensing conditions (Does the software manufacturer allow remote access at all, with certain restrictions, or only from the hosted computers of the Universities community?)
- hardware requirements (Is the student’s own computer powerful enough to run the software without a glitch? Is there a suitable version of the software that matches the student’s own operating system? Is the software dependent on physical peripherals or a 3D accelerator graphics card?)
What should I do if I need remotely usable software?
- Start by checking if you can install the programme on your computer.
- If the software cannot be installed on your computer, please contact the IT Helpdesk at it-helpdesk [at] tuni.fi. In your email, include information about the software you need: the name of the software, target group, temporary or permanent need, estimated number of users, and the time when the software is needed.
Remote access arrangements will be planned with IT Services for each programme individually.
+358 294 520 500
it-helpdesk [at] tuni.fi