I am Professor of Manufacturing Engineering and Systems Engineering. I am in charge of the Manufacturing research group. My interests include:
- Modeling and simulation of manufacturing systems,
- Early integration of manufacturing considerations in the system development process,
- Efficient dynamic control and development of additive manufacturing methods based on Directed Energy Deposition,
- Knowledge coding in form of causal graphs,
- Integration of existing knowledge and design of artificial neural networks topologies using causal graphs,
- Dimensional analysis theory and its combination with causal graphs,
- Causal graph networks for decision-making support,
- Multi-Disciplinary Optimization and creativity support for Engineering,
- Early design process, automatic extraction and analysis of requirements,
- Metrics for system design and manufacturing.
Fields of expertise
I have skills in different domains: Manufacturing processes, Engineering design theory and practices, Systems Engineering, Mathematical methods for modeling simulation and Machine Learning. I published broadly in those fields during the past years.
Chevalier des Palmes Académiques (Nov. 2018)
Honor Issuer: French Republic to distinguish academics and figures in the world of culture and education.
Marie-Curie Individual Fellowship (2006-2008)
Main positions of trust
Dr. Coatanéa is member of the ASME. He serves as associate editor, guest editor and reviewer for many international journals.
- Commitment in scientific institutions:
Co-editor of the Journal of Integrated Design & Process Science (Society for Design and Process Science)
Member of the NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) expert selection committee for NSERC Canada Chairs in Design Engineering Selection Panel.
- Commitment in companies:
o Dynavio Cooperative Oy: co-founder and Head of the Board
o Selko Oy (selko.io), member of the board and advisor
I am trying to develop tools base don graph approaches for supporting early design, modeling, simulation and decision making, in a context where quantitative data doesn't exist or is scarce.
My publications can be viewed following using Academia.edu, Research Gate or for some of them using my ORCID ID (see links below).