Registration with the authorities for new exchange students
- Student's handbook | Exchange Studies | Information for exchange students at the university
At the beginning of your stay, you will have to take care of a few administrative things, but you will be guided through the process during our Welcome Week and after.
Exchange students are expected to complete two formal registration processes:
1. Register with the Local Register Office (maistraatti)
- Required for all exchange students
- Registration for the Finnish personal identity code (if applicable)
- Registration of personal data into the Finnish Population Information System
- Registration is free of charge
- More information on the registration process can be found on the website of the Local Register Office
In order to complete your registration with the Local Register Office, you have to present:
- a filled-in form for exchange students, please do not sign the form:
- a valid passport or an official identification card with a photo (EU/EEA citizens)
- a photocopy of your passport’s ID page or a photocopy of your ID card (front and back of your card)
- a Finnish residence permit card (if applicable)
- a photocopy of your Finnish residence permit card (front and back of your card)
- TAMK Student Certificate
- a photocopy of your TAMK Student Certificate
You can make photocopies at TAMK after you have activated your TUNI user account. For more information please see the IT Services Handbook. Once you have been granted a Finnish personal identity code, the Local Register Office will send it to TAMK- You can pick up your code from Exchange Student Services (B1-53). Universities are obliged to collect the code for administrative purposes.
2. Register your right of residence with the Finnish Immigration Service, Migri (Maahanmuuttovirasto)
- For citizens of EU/EEA/EFTA countries only
- If you will be staying in Finland for over three months without a break
- Please note that if you travel abroad within the first 90 days of your stay (before registering your right to reside in Finland), the three-month period will restart after you return to Finland. In this case, please remember to save all your travel documents.
- For more information, please go to: Registration of right of residence