Skip to main content
TAMK Student's Handbook

Exchange student’s health services, well-being and safety

The City of Tampere provides health care services for higher education exchange students coming from the following countries:

  • exchange students from EU or EEA countries and Switzerland
  • exchange students who live in Australia and have a health insurance there
  • exchange students from Quebec province in Canada

The above-mentioned exchange students are entitled to health care services through public health care. They have to prove their entitlement to public health care services.

  • Students from the Nordic countries receive health care by presenting their official ID card or passport.
  • Students coming from EU or EEA countries or Switzerland and staying temporarily in Finland are entitled to necessary medical treatment through public health care if they have a European Health Insurance Card. The card has to be ordered before coming to Finland.
  • Students coming from Australia and staying temporarily in Finland are entitled to necessary medical treatment through public health care. Their right to public health care is proven with the Australian or another country’s passport which demonstrates their unrestricted right to live in Australia.
  • Students coming from Quebec in Canada have to apply for Kela’s Certificate of Entitlement to Medical Care in Finland in order to demonstrate their entitlement to public health care in Finland and receive it at the same fee as Finnish residents.

The City of Tampere also organises necessary dental treatment. A health care professional assesses the service need when the student contacts the service. In addition to necessary medical treatment, exchange students also receive necessary preventive health care services, such as advice on contraception. Exchange students pay the same fees for the services as Finnish residents.

Tullinkulma Student Health Care centre locates near Tampere railway station, address is Hammareninkatu 5, 3rd floor. You can book an appointment by calling +358 40 806 2454, Monday - Friday 8:15 - 12:00

Non-EU/EEA/ETA citizens

Exchange students coming from other than the above-mentioned countries and areas are only entitled to emergency treatment through public health care. They have to pay the actual medical expenses. As regards other than emergency treatment, they must use private health services and have a private medical expenses insurance for the purpose. Other exchange students are also recommended to take a medical expenses insurance as it covers more extensive medical treatment than public health care (eg. longer treatment periods and repatriation). 

There are many private clinics in Tampere, such as Pirte, Koskiklinikka and Terveystalo.

Exchange students will be informed of the ways of contacting the City of Tampere’s student health care on the student health care’s website

Further information can also be found on Kela’s website: Medical Care in Finland.

If you need advice on health care, contact TAMK’s Social Counsellor: socialcounsellor.tamk [at] (socialcounsellor[dot]tamk[at]tuni[dot]fi)

Published: 26.6.2019
Updated: 29.12.2023