Register as a new student
Registration for academic year 2023-2024 for new students
All students need to register as an attending (present) or non-attending (absent) student each academic year. You need to be registered as present in order to participate in education, take exams and complete studies. If you do not register at all by the given deadline, you lose your right to study.
If you have applied on the final year of your previous studies and have been accepted conditionally, please note that you can register only after you have fulfilled the condition, please see additional information on the Accept your study place -page.
For all new students in the degree programmes in English it is possible to register online or at Tampere University in person. Please log in to your My Studyinfo -service, pay the student union membership fee online and register as present. If you are unable to register in My Studyinfo-service, please wait for detailed instructions. Detailed instructions concerning registration and starting your studies will be sent by email in late July to all those students who have accepted their study places.
Please note that students in universities must also pay a healthcare fee to Kela (the Social Insurance Institution of Finland).
Registration on campus is possible 14 August onwards. It is a good idea to register already on 14-17 of August to have everything ready for the start of the Welcome Week. And we strongly recommend you to register before 21 August as some of the courses on the first period close for registration already on that day. The deadline for registration is 31 August 2023.
Registration is possible online or at the Student Affairs Offices during their opening hours. Please register either at the Hervanta campus or City center campus depending on your degree programme:
- Students who will be studying mainly at the Hervanta campus will register at the Student Affairs Office in Hervanta (Korkeakoulunkatu 7, Kampusareena, 2nd floor, room: A215)
- Students who will be studying mainly at the City Centre or Kauppi campus will register the Student Affairs Office at the City Centre campus (Kalevantie 4, Main building, 1st floor, room: A121)
Please direct any questions concerning enrolment to: studentservices.tau [at] tuni.fi
Absence in the first year of studies
According to the Universities Act (558/2009) first-year students may register as absent for the following reasons only:
- Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), the Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or the Act on Women’s Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
- Maternity, paternity or parental leave
- The student is unable to begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury
If you have legal grounds for your absence and you wish to register as absent, please contact the Tampere University Student Affairs Office at studentservices.tau [at] tuni.fi.