Skip to main content

During student exchange

In the destination country

  • You may need a certificate of registering as a resident of the city where you are staying.
  • In the EU countries, the deadline for registering as a resident is within three months of arrival. Personnel at the receiving university can help and advise you.
  • Find out about health services immediately upon arrival.
  • Take care of money matters. You may open a bank account in your destination country or leave a power of attorney document with someone who can take care of your money matters in Finland.
  • Enrol at the university. Participate in orientation events and language courses where you can get to know other students. Find out about student discounts eg in public transport.
  • Find the department’s contact person for further information and, when necessary, keep in touch with your home university.
  • If it turns out that there are changes in the courses you have selected, you need to amend your study plan/Learning agreement and get it approved. Erasmus+ students: Fill in learning agreement changes in Mobility-Online after you have made the final selection of your courses (During mobility > Make changes to the learning agreement).

Problems during the exchange period

Unanticipated things may sometimes happen during an exchange period. It is important that you inform both the host and the home university about any problems related to your studies or your health. This will help avoid unpleasant surprises after your return.

  • If you have difficulties with your studies or choice of courses, you should contact the study coordinator or other employee of the host institution and the planning officer in your own faculty. Completing too few credits during the exchange may result in you having to reimburse your grant or a part of it.
  • If you are unsure about whether you have passed an exam, get a written statement from the lecturer that you have participated in the lectures and completed your assignments. Similarly, if you have completed some external language course, ask for a certificate that you have done so. Grant reimbursement matters are handled on a case-by-case basis, and the payment schedule is negotiable.
  • If there are significant changes in your health that may affect eg your study performance or cause you to interrupt your exchange studies, contact the coordinators at both the host and the home universities. It is recommended that you keep any medical certificates you may get even after the exchange.
  • When you have to interrupt your exchange, it is important that you contact the coordinator of your home university as soon as possible. You will get instructions for reimbursing your grant or a part of it.

Before returning home

  • Ask for certificates of the courses you have completed, obtain the best possible course descriptions and keep all your written study attainments etc. If you do not receive certificates before you leave for Finland, ask your host university to send the certificate to International Mobility Services: mobility.tau [at] or Tampere University, International Mobility Services, FI-33014 TAMPERE UNIVERSITY, Finland.
  • Erasmus+ students: Remember to ask for a certificate attesting you have been enrolled at the host university. You may use the “Letter of Confirmation” Word document for this purpose.
Published: 27.2.2019
Updated: 10.5.2023