Changing the degree programme
According to Tampere University Regulations on Degrees, a student studying for a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree may apply to change his or her degree programme or specialisation. The change can be made as an internal transfer or it may require participation in the regular admission procedure via Studyinfo (Opintopolku).
Internal transfer means a procedure whereby a student may apply to change his or her specialisation or degree programme without having to participate in the regular admission procedure via Studyinfo. Please find below further instructions on cases where an internal transfer is possible and where application via the regular admission procedure on Studyinfo is required.
Internal procedure vs. student admissions in 2020
Changing a specialisation or degree programme in Bachelor’s studies
- Changing a specialisation within a Bachelor’s Degree Programme - > Internal transfer
This also applies to eg biotechnology and biomedical technology, multidisciplinary education in communication sciences, and language studies
- Changing a degree programme or specialisation within the field of engineering (M.Sc. studies) -> Internal procedure
- Changing a degree programme or education in other fields than engineering -> Transfer student application via Studyinfo
Changing a specialisation or degree programme in Master’s studies
- Changing a specialisation within a Master’s programme -> Internal procedure
- Changing a Master’s programme within Master’s programmes that are part of the same education -> Internal procedure
- Changing a Master’s programme within the field of engineering (M.Sc. programmes) -> Internal procedure
- Changing a Master’s programme to another Master’s programme that are part of different educations, other fields than engineering -> Application to the Master’s degree programme via Studyinfo.
Degree programmes leading to regulated professional qualifications or requiring legalisation -> no internal transfer is possible. Admission happens in the regular admission procedure via Studyinfo (eg architecture, class teacher training, early childhood education, psychology, social work, speech therapy, medicine).
Application periods of internal transfers in 2020
- Spring 2020: The application period is from 4 to 18 May 2020.
- Autumn 2020: The application period for internal transfers is in November (The exact dates will be defined later).
- In addition, Faculties may process internal transfer applications also outside these application periods in cases where all the applicants fulfilling the transfer criteria can be admitted.
The criteria for internal transfers
- The Faculties prepare and decide the criteria for internal transfers on the same schedule as they decide the general admission criteria of students.
According to Tampere University Degree Regulations, postgraduate students may apply to change their doctoral programme or their field of research within the doctoral programme. The following principles apply to changing a doctoral programme or a research field:
Changing the doctoral programme or research field in postgraduate studies
- Changing a research field within a doctoral programme -> Internal procedure. There is no deadline for applying.
- Changing a doctoral programme -> Application to a doctoral programme via Studyinfo according the application schedule given there.
Faculties and degree programmes provide more detailed information on application periods and methods and the criteria for internal transitions.