Finnish personal identity code for new international students
All new exchange students will need a Finnish personal identity code. Students coming from outside the EU/EEA/EFTA should apply for the code along with their residence permit. EU and EEA nationals and non-EU nationals with a comparable status (EFTA countries) or students who have not received the code with the residence permit, will have to apply for the identity code after they arrive in Finland.
Please note that it can take up to 4 - 5 weeks to get the code in Tampere. Before leaving TAMK, please check with the Exchange Student Services that your student data contains your Finnish personal identity code. TAMK is obliged to collect the code for administrative purposes.
You will need a Finnish personal identity code to prove your identity, for example, at banks (also when opening a bank account) and hospitals (including Tullinkulma Student Health Care Centre). The code was formerly known as a social security number. Nowadays it has nothing to do with Finnish social security and is only used for identification purposes.
I still do not have a Finnish personal identity code. What should I do?
Please visit the Local Register Office to get your Finnish personal identity code before you leave. You do not need to book an appointment, just visit the office. Please note that it can take up to 4 - 5 weeks to get the code. You can authorise the Local Register Office to send your Finnish personal identity code directly to the Exchange Student Services at TAMK Main Campus (B1-53).
- Local Register Office (maistraatti)
- Address: Hatanpään valtatie 24
- Open: Mon–Fri 9:00 - 16:15
- Email: email@example.com
Please remember to bring the following documents with you to the Local Register Office:
- a filled-in form for exchange students, please do not sign the form:
- a valid passport or an official identification card with a photo (EU/EEA citizens)
- a photocopy of your passport’s ID page or a photocopy of your ID card (front and back of your card)
- a Finnish residence permit card (if applicable)
- a photocopy of your Finnish residence permit card (front and back of your card)
- TAMK Student Certificate
- a photocopy of your TAMK Student Certificate