Double and joint degrees
Double and joint degrees
With double and joint degrees universities of applied sciences
- aim for deeper cooperation with partner universities
- support internationalisation of the surrounding area and its companies
- develop the quality and international content of education
- increase the number of international degree students and degrees completed by them
- increase students' internationalisation opportunities
- improve students' status in global labour markets and enhance mobility of workforce.
The double degree means in this context that you complete an agreed part of the studies (at least 60 credits) at TAMK's partner university and receive a degree certificate upon graduation from both TAMK and the partner university. Each of the higher education institutions carries out its own curriculum but the studies completed in the partner university are fully transferred to a part of the granted degree. The required studies and administrative practices for completing the double degree are agreed on in the double degree agreement of the higher education institutions.
The joint degree means that a degree programme is developed and organised by two or more higher education institutions together, and usually leads to one degree certificate.
TAMK has six double degree agreements with foreign universities at the moment
The Degree Programme in Environmental Engineering and Ostfalia University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
The Degree Programme in International Business and Degree Programme in Business Administration:
- Munich University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
- Kedge Business School (France)
- University of Salford (UK)
The Degree Programme in Mechanical Engineering and Fachhochschule Hannover (Germany)
The Degree Programme in Bioproduct Engineering and Qilu University of Technology (China)
Studying in double or joint degrees
The same regulations are followed in planning of studies, professional growth counselling, and study performance assessment of double and joint degree students as with other degree students. Double and joint degree students are selected by the home institution and the studies are planned in such a way that they can be completed during the normative duration of studies. Double and joint degree students need to have high motivation, excellent prior academic success and sufficient language skills in the destination institution's language of instruction. TAMK's outgoing double or joint degree students register for attendance at TAMK.
Guidelines for outgoing double degree students and related administrative instructions
You apply for exchange in the SoleMOVE mobility management system during the application period.
- Application period in January: TAMK students' exchange application process is described in the quality manual Compass at Student exchange, outgoing.
- The International Services send the applicant list to the directors of education, heads of degree programmes and international coordinators for approval. The head of degree programme decides on outgoing double and joint degree students.
If TAMK accepts your exchange, the International Services send your information to the destination institution.
- The International Services also notify the names of selected students to study affairs coordinators and enter the official name of the destination institution for the student into the base register.
- If the double degree exchange is cancelled, the International Services notify the study affairs coordinator of it, remove the destination institution’s name from the base register and add notice of the cancellation to the base register.
If the destination institution accepts you, it will send you instructions on filling in the needed documents.
Before departure, you make a plan on the studies to be completed in the destination institution and fill in the learning agreement form and check it with the international coordinator (technology) or student counsellor and international coordinator (International Business and Business Administration).
NB: The Degree Programme in Business Administration and Degree Programme in International Business provide separate instructions for outgoing double degree students.
After completing the studies/exchange, you apply for the degree certificate at the destination institution in accordance with its guidelines.
- You have to complete a minimum of 60 credits in an academic year.
After return, you submit the transcript of records from the destination institution for credit transfer to the international coordinator (technology) or the student counsellor and international coordinator (International Business and Business Administration) as well as the study affairs coordinator.
- The study affairs coordinator or international coordinator (Energy and Environmental Engineering) enters the credit transfers into the base register.
NB: If you complete your thesis at the destination institution and apply for its credit transfer at TAMK, you have to complete the maturity test in accordance with TAMK's processes.
- The degree programme nominates the thesis supervisor (even if the thesis was completed in the destination institution).
- The degree programme organises the maturity test.
- The degree programme takes care of the credit transfer for the thesis (head of degree programme, thesis supervisor).
You apply for the degree certificate at TAMK in accordance with the study guide guidelines.
Guidelines for incoming double degree students and related administrative instructions
You take the learning agreement and a stamped official transcript of records given by the home institution to the International Services.
- The International Services (incoming students office) inform the study affairs coordinator of incoming double degree students after the application procedure of the spring (information requested from double degree applicants in the further information field of SoleMOVE).
- The International Services submit the foreign transcript of records to the study affairs coordinator.
- The International Services enter the student into the base register.
- The study affairs coordinator changes the double degree student's status from exchange student to degree student after receiving the International Services' notification of registration (the arrival group is changed).
- The study affairs coordinator enters the double degree information to the base register and adds the student to the right administrative group.
- The study right is the same as other degree students of the group have.
- If the double degree exchange is cancelled, the International Services notify the study affairs coordinator of it.
You receive the student number and meal subsidy card from the International Services.
You participate in the orientation for international exchange students and the orientation organised by your degree programme.
- During the orientation, the double degree student meets the international coordinator.
NB: As a double degree student, you will receive exchange students' guidelines and materials by email before you arrive at TAMK.
You enrol on courses
- The student enrols on courses, participates in lessons and examinations and is assessed in the same way as other students of the group. Related guidelines are given in the orientation.
When you are about to finish your studies at TAMK, ask a transcript of records from the study affairs coordinator and submit it to your home institution.
The study affairs coordinator enters the student’s attendance semesters into the base register.
When you have received the degree certificate from your home institution, submit a copy of it to the study affairs coordinator at TAMK for credit transfers (a separate CreTa application is not needed).
- When the study affairs coordinator has received a copy of the double degree student's degree certificate from the home institution and the student has filled in the degree certificate application, the study affairs coordinator begins the graduation procedure in accordance with TAMK's guidelines.
You apply for the degree certificate at TAMK in accordance with TAMK's guidelines.
You enter your thesis into the Theseus system.
- The student can ask for the degree certificate to be sent by post against a fee.
NB: If the double or joint degree cooperation between the higher education institutions ends, students have the right to finish their studies and receive a degree certificate on the degree programme after graduation.