- Student's handbook | Internship and work life | Career planning
- Education and teaching | Supervision of students | Career counselling
Talent Tampere mentoring programmes
Tampere Universities organize annually a mentoring programme for international students and other young talents in Tampere. The mentoring programme aims to support the professional development of international talents, help them build professional networks and enable them to share their international experiences with the mentors.
The International Talents’ mentoring programme is aimed for for international degree students at Tampere Universities or other international talents who have graduated from studies somewhere else, moved to Tampere and are looking to start their careers here. In this programme, mentoring is done one-on-one, i.e. each mentor is paired with one mentee.
What is mentoring?
Mentoring is a process whereby experienced professionals impart their knowledge and skills to mentees at the beginning of their careers. The mentors are all professionals in their own fields of specialty and work in the Tampere region. Becoming a mentee is a voluntary arrangement and the parties receive no financial compensation.
As a mentee you will:
- have the opportunity to learn from a professionally experienced person and a discussion partner to talk about careers and working life
- have the chance to develop your job hunting skills with a personal mentor
- create new networks and contacts
- have the chance to develop your intercultural communication skills
- build your professional confidence
What does the mentoring programme include?
- 4 group meetings, including an orientation
- approximately 5 pair meetings during the programme – the mentor and mentee agree on the schedule and exact number of the meetings
- writing a learning diary throughout the process
- Talent Tampere Mentoring Pack which includes discussion topics and exercises for inspiration and general information on the mentoring process
- certificate of participation in the programme
Me as a mentee?
You are welcome to apply for the mentoring programme if you are an international talent living / staying in the Tampere region. If you are studying at Tampere University or Tampere University of Applied Sciences, you should be in the latter part of your studies and about to graduate within a year or so. You should be fluent in English, interested in intercultural communication and keen to share your thoughts and reflect on career and employment issues with others. Most importantly, you should be interested in finding a career in Finland!
Be prepared to write a short motivation letter in the application form as we are looking for motivated applicants who will commit to the meetings and the whole duration of the mentoring programme!
Schedule in 2020-2021
The mentoring programme is organized and coordinated by Tampere Universities. The mentoring programme is conducted in English. The programme starts in November 2020 and ends in April 2021. During the programme, mentees are paired up with mentors and they meet face-to-face about five times. In addition, the programme includes four group sessions for all mentors and mentees:
- Orientation for Mentees Wednesday 4.11.2020 at 16.30-19.00
- Kick-Off Meeting Tuesday 10.11.2020 at 16.30-19.00
- Mid-Programme Meeting Wednesday 20.1.2021 at 16.30-19.00
- Wrap-up Meeting Tuesday 27.4.2021 at 16.30-19.00
Location for the group meeting is in Hervanta campus, Kampusareena, 5 th floor, Kampusklubi. The group meetings are all facilitated by career psychologist Mariska Roelofs. Mariska is an experienced professional who knows the mentoring programme well and is herself an international, having come to Finland from the Netherlands in 2011. She believes in an interactive approach, focusing on a pleasant, open atmosphere where everyone can feel at ease and learn from each other.
Apply by filling in the application form on -line. Pay special attention to the motivation letter in the application. The application is open until 30 September 2020. All applicants will be contacted by mid-October.
If you have any questions related to the mentoring programme, do not hesitate to contact!
Kaisa Niskanen, Career Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 50 300 5964
Ps. If you were not admitted to the programme…
Please keep in mind that it did not necessarily mean that your application was not good enough! We receive plenty of applications each year and regretfully only limited number of mentees will be admitted per programme. The most common reason for the rejection of a mentee application is that this year there were no suitable mentors available just for you and/or your motivation or commitment was not expressed clear enough in the application form. Better luck next year!