Zero-emission hybrid mobile machinery (November-December 2021)
Language of instruction
Mode of study
This intensive course gives an overview of available components (electric motors, energy storages), system topologies, requirements, and methods for the creation and optimization of hybrid and electric off-road machinery.
- After the course, you will have the elementary knowledge of the drivers towards electrification and hybridization in non-road mobile machinery.
- You will learn about components, and powertrain topologies of hybrid and electric powertrains.
- You will be able to analyze initial design requirements based on duty cycle of the vehicle.
- You will learn about feasible methods for overall system optimization to meet design requirements.
Personnel involved in the design, component selection, installation, maintenance, and sale of off-road mobile machinery, and other road vehciles or stationary applications.
Basics in mechanical/electrical background are considered as an advantage.
Teaching is held from 9th of November to 14th of December on Tuesday mornings between 8-10 am. The course includes lectures (virtual via zoom, hybrid or face-to-face), videos, reading material, and quizzes (for self-evaluation).
The course is built to be pedagogically functional, taking into account the needsof the employed.
All tasks can be applied directly to your own work. Estimated workload including self-study is 30 hours.
The training has received very good feedback!
- 9.11.2021 Course intro + overview of diesel development, Zero emissions requirements
- 16.11.2021 Electric and Hybrid powertrains, introduction to group work
- 23.11.2021 Electric motors + Convertors
- 30.11.2021 Energy storages
- 7.12.2021 BMS + Cooling, Charging
- 14.12.2021 Duty cycle, Component sizing, Efficiency, Optimization of the power flow, control
Tatiana Minav, Assistant Professor, D.Sc. (Tech), Tampere University
All rights reserved.
Feedback from previous course
"The course is suitable for mobile machine builders and system suppliers.
The training works effectively remotely and is well paced to daily work.
The remote implementation of the course was particularly suitable for us as the participants work in different locations."