Applying to Open University studies
Application periods vary in different study units, but our main application periods are in the beginning of August and during November-December. Check the exact application periods from course offering. To some of the studies, the application period is continuous.
The application for the courses at the Open University is always binding. Therefore, the enrolment cannot be cancelled.
When you fill in the electronic application form, you will get confirmation email. If we are able to offer you admission, we will send you a confirmation email that will include a link to pay the required fee. You will receive a separate confirmation of your admission to each unit of study. Read the instructions carefully and please follow your email!
Application form (use Chrome or Firefox as your browser)
- Search the studies and filter the courses if necessary. You can filter the studies to, for example, course name, course code, location, or faculty.
- Choose all the courses you wish to attend and add them to the list of selected studies. When you have added courses, choose Sign up -button
- In the pop-up window, select the student type that determines your enrollment form: Finnish citizen (Suomi.fi identification), foreigner or University of Tampere staff.
- Suomi.fi e-identification works with online banking codes, mobile certificate, certificate card and eIDAS token.
- Fill the application form and all necessary fields.
- If we are able to offer you admission, we will send you a confirmation email that will include a link to pay the required fee. Check the instructions from Study fees section.
If we are able to offer you admission, we will send you a confirmation email that will include a link to pay the required fee. Final admission to courses is dependent on fees having been received by the Open University. You will be expected to pay the fee within three days of receiving the payment message, otherwise you will lose your place and it will be offered to a waitlisted applicant. You will receive a separate payment link for each unit of study. Please be aware that your registration is binding after you have paid the fee. After we receive your payment, we will send you more information about your University-issued user account and instructions for starting your studies. Please read the instructions carefully and follow your email!
Enrolment in Open University studies is always binding. You cannot cancel your enrolment and your study fee cannot be reimbursed. See Terms of payment and cancelling the studies -section for details.
In open university a student has a study right of limited duration and content. In addition, the right to study cannot be transferred to another study unit or to the next academic year.
The study groups are principally filled in order of arrival of the application forms. An exception are the intermediate studies for which selection of students is made. The admission requirements can be found in the course information.
If you are placed in reserve, you will be contacted if a place becomes available for you in the course. Please make sure you give the correct contact details on the application form, especially your phone number and email address.
Study fees are charged on all courses in Open University. The fees in all studies are EUR 15 per credit point. The fees are based on the Government decree on fees for university services (1082/2009) and its amendment (1436/2014).
We have new application system where study fees are paid online by Paytrail service. Payment methods include ePayments to domestic banks, card payment, MobilePay, and Collector Bank as an invoice and installment service.
Open University studies are free of charge for the University’s employees.
If the study fee is paid by someone other than the student, eg employer, please contact the student affairs office before applying to studies.
Degree students of the Tampere University
For the degree students registered as present at the Tampere University, a certain amount of places are reserved in the teaching groups of the Open University at City Centre Campus and Kauppi Campus. The enrolment takes place in NettiOpsu. For degree students the studies are free of charge.
If you cannot start your studies because of medical or health reasons, you must submit a written appeal to the Student Affairs Office at the Tampere University and enclose a medical certificate. In such cases, any fees paid in excess of EUR 75 will be reimbursed to the student. If the study fee paid at Paytrail service will be reimbursed, the cost of to the student will be 0,35 €.
If the Tampere University must cancel a course, for example because there are not enough students, the study fees are reimbursed completely.
The fees on Open University studies and any accrued interest and expenses are subject to enforcement as stipulated by the Government decree on fees for university services (1436/2014). Tampere University reserves the right to change the information in the curriculum.
email: open.studies.tau [at] tuni.fi | phone: 0294 520 200
Tampere/ City Centre Campus and Kauppi Campus
- Postal address: Open University, P.O. Box 607, FI-33014 Tampere University
- Visiting address: City Centre Campus, Kalevantie 4, A121
- Opening hours
Tampere/ Hervanta Campus
- Postal address: Student Services/ Open University, P.O. Box 1001, FI-33014 Tampere University
- Visiting address: Hervanta Campus, Kampusareena 2nd floor, Korkeakoulunkatu 7, 33720 Tampere
- Opening hours
- Postal address: TAU/Avoin yliopisto-opetus, Seinäjoen yliopistokeskus, Kampusranta 9 C, 60320 Seinäjoki
- Visiting address: Kampusranta 9 C, FRAMI, 2nd floor
- Opening hours: Mon - Fri 10-15
- Postal address: TAU/Avoin yliopisto-opetus, Porin yliopistokeskus, PL 181, 28101 PORI
- Visiting address: Pohjoisranta 11 C, 2nd and 3rd floor
- If you need personal service, please contact the Student Affairs Offices in Tampere.