Health Care Processes and Information Systems, Lectures
Faculty or school
Language of instruction
Mode of study
Health Care Processes and Information Systems, 5 cr
1. Student understands and can describe the basic processes and governance principles applied in the health and social care domain and understands how this knowledge can be applied for defining and building health ICT solutions.
2. Student understands the key principles of health information and key standards related to storing and transferring health information, and how they are utilized in health ICT systems
3. Student knows the definitions, terminology, concepts and architectures of key health information systems, with focus especially on the electronic patient record and personal health record
4. Student knows the principles of health ICT project management, development processes and key measures utilized in the assessment of the quality and effectiveness of health ICT. Student is aware of the typical pitfalls that can be encountered in health ICT projects and understands the specific role of user-centered development in the health ICT domain.
5. Student has a general understanding of the future trends affecting health ICT development, such as personalized medicine
The purpose of the course is to give students a general understanding of applying ICT technologies in the area of health care, with focus on the special needs placed for information management in this area. Course aims to provide students first a basic understanding of health care processes and health care systems: how they are managed, organized and funded in Finland and in other countries. After this the course presents the specifics of health information, how it is utilized in health information systems, what are the key standards and how they are utilized in building health information systems. Course is intended especially for students who are planning to work in the health care domain, either in research and development or in managerial roles.
The key learning outcomes of the course are applied in practice in a
multidisciplinary project work done based on themes proposed by
industry. Project work is evaluated 0-5 and it forms ~45% of the course
- The health care process, measures utilized in it and basic governance models
- Key principles of health information and standards
- Introduction to terminology, concepts and and architectures of health ICT systems, with special focus on electronic patient record. KANTA is used as an example
- User-centered health ICT development process description
- Project work
- Detailed analysis of the Finnish health care funding model.
- Operations management principles: planning of demand and supply.
- Key pitfalls in health ICT development. Case studies of health ICT development.
- Multidisciplinary team work: practical experience.
- Communication tools for project work. Collaboration with the industry partners.
- Comparison of health care governance and funding models in diffrent countries.
- US health care governance.
- Diagnostic process.
- Management framework tools.
10.09.2021 08:00 - 10:00, TAU Sähkötalo SE203 harjoitussali (112)
17.09.2021 08:00 - 10:00, TAU Sähkötalo SE203 harjoitussali (112)
24.09.2021 08:00 - 10:00, TAU Sähkötalo SE203 harjoitussali (112)
01.10.2021 08:00 - 10:00, TAU Sähkötalo SE203 harjoitussali (112)
08.10.2021 08:00 - 10:00, TAU Sähkötalo SE203 harjoitussali (112)
15.10.2021 08:00 - 10:00, TAU Sähkötalo SE203 harjoitussali (112)
29.10.2021 14:00 - 16:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (84)
05.11.2021 14:00 - 16:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (84)
12.11.2021 14:00 - 16:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (84)
19.11.2021 14:00 - 16:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (84)
26.11.2021 14:00 - 16:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (84)
03.12.2021 14:00 - 16:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (84)
Video lectures are available in Moodle, Live meetings are organized at the campus. Follow Moodle for all updates!
PrerequisitesThe student should have the basic knowledge of what is an information system and its architecture. The student should have the basic understanding of usability or user experience of ICT systems. Programming skills are not absolutely necessary but very useful. The course is recommended for master's degree students.
General scale, 0-5
Number of study places for Open University students: 5
Applications to open university studies must be sent through the online application form. Please read through the application instructions in Applying to Open University studies -pages.
Some courses may require prior knowledge. Please check course info in Information about studies and Prerequisites.
After receiving confirmation email you also have to sign-up for the courses in Sisu-system. Please follow the instructions mentioned in confirmation email.