Analysis of Electromagnetic Systems, Lectures
Faculty or school
Language of instruction
Mode of study
Analysis of Electromagnetic Systems, 5 cr
* student is able to analyze resisitive, capacitive, and inductive EM systems using circuit analysis, EM field analysis, and electromagnetic simulation tools.
* student is able to explain the laws of electromagnetism and to use field analysis to explain properties of static, quasistatic, and general time dependent EM problems.
* student is able to do experiments (construction, measurements) with simple EM systems. Student is capable of utilizing simulation tools (Matlab, Comsol) to solve, to interpret, and to visualize EM problems.
* student knows about issues related to electromagnetic compatibility.
- Analysis of resistive circuits and the steady field conduction problem.
Setting up simulation model to find the resistance of a conducting object, basics of finite element method simulations (Comsol).
Interpretation of field and circuit quantities in case of materials with different conductivities.
Related in-class hands-on tasks where e.g. breadboards and DAQ -devices are utilized.
- Analysis of capacitive systems and the electrostatic field problem.
Analysis of inductive systems and the magnetostatic field problem.
Energy and potentials in electric and magnetic problems.
Setting up simulation models for simple capacitive and inductive systems. Related in-class hands-on tasks.
Multivariable analysis and its applications in electromagnetic theory.
- Analysis of the magnetoquasistatic field problem, electromagnetic induction, electromotive force. Time-harmonic field quantities.
- Ampere-Maxwell law. Analysis of monochromatic electromagnetic plane waves. Basics of wave propagation in nonconducting and conducting media. Basics of origin of waves, Hertz dipole.
- Assumptions underneath the electric circuit analysis (with lumped parameters). KVL, KCL, and the resistive circuit element interpreted in terms of field quantities.
- Boundary conditions to define circuit elements in terms of field quantities. Well-posedness of static EM problems.
- Basics about electromagnetic compatibility.
- Elementary concepts of electromagnetic metamaterials.Application examples: metamaterials in antenna designs, EM cloaking.
Blended Learning: Exercises and weekly wrap-up / Computer tutorials / First weekly meeting
24.10.2022 11:00 - 12:00
25.10.2022 10:00 - 12:00, TAU Tietotalo TC315 tietokoneluokka (16)
27.10.2022 12:00 - 15:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (45)
31.10.2022 11:00 - 12:00
01.11.2022 10:00 - 12:00, TAU Tietotalo TC315 tietokoneluokka (16)
03.11.2022 12:00 - 15:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (45)
07.11.2022 11:00 - 12:00
08.11.2022 10:00 - 12:00, TAU Tietotalo TC315 tietokoneluokka (16)
10.11.2022 12:00 - 15:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (45)
14.11.2022 11:00 - 12:00
15.11.2022 10:00 - 12:00, TAU Tietotalo TC315 tietokoneluokka (16)
17.11.2022 12:00 - 15:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (45)
21.11.2022 11:00 - 12:00
22.11.2022 10:00 - 12:00, TAU Tietotalo TC315 tietokoneluokka (16)
24.11.2022 12:00 - 15:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (45)
28.11.2022 11:00 - 12:00
29.11.2022 08:00 - 10:00, TAU Tietotalo TC315 tietokoneluokka (16)
01.12.2022 12:00 - 16:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (45)
05.12.2022 11:00 - 12:00
08.12.2022 12:00 - 15:00, TAU Sähkötalo SM221 monitoimiluokka (45)
Overview of the course schedule: We analyze first EM waves and focus esp. on plane waves. We study alongside time-harmonic field quantities and modeling EM material properties. Lastly we apply the Maxwell laws to static and quasistatic problems as well as study the related circuit and simulation models.
The EE.120 Sähkömagnetiikka or EE130 Electromagnetics are recommended
prerequisites. They cover introduction to static and quasistatic EM
problems and also to EM simulations. Such knowledge is beneficial when
taking this course.
- Electromagnetics, EE.130, 5 cr
- Electromagnetics, EE.120, 5 cr
- Type: Lecture slides
- Exam material: Yes
- Language: English
- Info: Available from the course homepage
- Type: Online book
- Name: Electromagnetic field theory fundamentals
- Author: Bhag Singh Guru, Huseyin R. Hiziroglu
- Exam material: Yes
- ISBN: 9780511210396
- Language: English
- Info: Available via digital library at TAU.
General scale, 0-5
- AYEEMSCVO Open University Route, Electrical Engineering, MSc
Applications to open university studies must be sent through the online application form. Please read through the application instructions in Applying to Open University studies -pages.
Some courses may require prior knowledge. Please check course info in Information about studies and Prerequisites.
After receiving confirmation email you also have to sign-up for the courses in Sisu-system. Please follow the instructions mentioned in confirmation email.