Tampere University Student's Handbook
Student: Practical instructions for distance learning
Students: Practical instructions for distance learning
Your course teacher is the first point of contact for questions about distance learning.
Pay attention to data security and protection during distance learning
Please find instructions for secure distance learning on the Secure remote work page.
Distance instruction and virtual lectures
Read the instructions Using live video in a virtual classroom.
- Zoom quick start guide for students
- See the IT services Handbook for detailed instructions for Zoom meeting participants
- Move your mouse over the window to display the action buttons.
- Click “Participants” to display the participants, a chat window and action icons on the right side of the screen.
- Teachers have the option to create polls and ask for opinions. To share your opinion, click the symbols on the right. The symbol will be displayed next to your name.
- If a number sequence is displayed instead of your name, place the mouse over your name and select “Rename”.
- Join a meeting in Teams
- Meetings in Teams
- Download Teams to your own computer or phone - you can also find it from app stores, sign in with your TUNI e-mail address.
The teacher will make lecture recordings available to students in Moodle or send a link to students, for example, via email.
Use the Office 365 tools for writing group assignments and for other remote working purposes.
Remote meetings through Teams
Microsoft Teams allows teams to attend remote meetings, share documents and collaboratively edit documents.
- Use the “Chat” function in Teams to easily set up a team for short-term remote meeting or working purposes.
- If necessary, go to the TUNI Groups service to request the creation of a Teams area for your project group or other group for more long-term use.
- Schedule a meeting in Teams
Editing and sharing documents
Besides Teams, you can share documents with email links directly through the Office 365 applications or the OneDrive cloud storage to another user or a group to be viewed or collaboratively edited.
Many of the software used for teaching purposes at the University are also available for download on students’ own computers.
- See the list of software to check whether software you need is available for download.
- See the page Installing software on your computer.
Returning student assignments
Your course teacher will tell you how and where to return your assignments. Students usually return their assignments through the Moodle assignment module or discussion forum.
Your course teacher will tell you more about the examination and provide you with practical instructions. Students can take exams remotely, for example, through the Moodle quiz module or 0365 Forms.
Links to instructions and guides
Video tutorials for using the Wistec Online e-learning portal (in the login window, select Office 365 and log in with your TUNI username and password)
Digimentoritoiminnan vinkkipankki offers brief instructions for using different programmes (only in finnish).
Please contact your course teacher with more questions about distance learning. If you have technical questions, send an email to %20it-helpdesk [at] tuni.fi.