Skip to main content

Tampere University Student's Handbook

Registration with the authorities for new degree students

Tampere University

At the beginning of your studies, you will have to take care of a few administrative things, but you will be guided through the process during the Welcome Week and after. 

Besides registering with the University, degree students are expected to complete the following formal registration processes after arrival:

1. Register your information at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency

  • Required for all international students
  • Registration of personal data and your address in Finland into the Finnish Population Information System
  • Registration for the Finnish personal identity code (if you have not received the identity code in connection with your residence permit). Once you have been granted a Finnish personal identity code, you should present the document along with your passport/identity card at the Student Affairs Office. Universities are obliged to collect the code for administrative purposes.
  • Registration for a Finnish place of residence (also called municipality of residence or place of domicile, in Finnish kotikunta; especially important in order to access municipal health services)
  • These registrations are free of charge.

In order to complete your registration at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency, you have to present:

  • a filled-in form, please do not sign the form
  • a valid passport or an official identification card with a photo (EU/EEA citizens); and a photocopy of your passport’s ID page or a photocopy of your ID card (front and back of your card)
  • a Finnish residence permit card (if applicable); and a photocopy of your Finnish residence permit card (front and back of your card)
  • Tampere University student certificate.

Please note the following for question 24, ”For how long will you stay in Finland?”:
If you have a type B residence permit valid for at least one full calendar year and a study right for at least two full calendar years, please select ”…a permanent address and…”.  If you have a type A or P residence permit, always choose the ”permanent address” option. The permanent address option on the form is for municipality registration. This registration will help you with the abovementioned access to municipal health services and make it easier, for example, to open a bank account (e.g. see the OP bank instructions).

You can make photocopies at the university after you have activated your TUNI user account. For more information please see the IT Services Handbook.

We have arranged the new university students to get their DVV registration sorted as conveniently as possible by arranging DVV appointment days on the city centre and Hervanta campuses. You can register on any of these days regardless of your home campus. You do not need to book an appointment for the registration days. Remember to have the required copies and filled in forms with you as you arrive. The DVV days and locations are:

  • 30 August at 9 am – 3 pm, Sähkötalo auditorium S2 (Hervanta campus)
  • 31 August at 9 am – 3 pm, Sähkötalo auditorium S2 (Hervanta campus)
  • 1 September at 9 am – 3 pm, Päätalo D11 (city centre campus)
  • 5 September at 9 am – 3 pm, Pinni B1097 (city centre campus)
  • 7 September at 9 am – 3 pm, Pinni B1097 (city centre campus)
  • 9 September at 9 am – 3 pm, Kampusareena A223 (Hervanta campus)

Please note that on campus days, DVV is holding a lunch break at 11.30-12.10 and ther is no registrations during this time.

More information on the registration process can be found on the website of the Digital and Population Services Agency.

2. Register your right of residence with the Finnish Immigration Service, Migri (Maahanmuuttovirasto)



Published: 7.8.2019
Updated: 25.8.2022