Check-list for new doctoral students
Welcome new doctoral student to conduct research and complete your postgraduate studies at Tampere University!
At our University, approximately 350 new doctoral students start their studies annually. This means that there are many people in the same position as you at the University, meaning you have plenty of opportunities to collaborate and create networks with colleagues from different fields as a part of your studies and research.
To get you started, do the following:
- Accept your study place and enrol as a doctoral student according to the instructions found in your acceptance letter.
- Residence permit and the registration of the right of residence for doctoral students
- Membership in the student union (TREY) is voluntary for doctoral students. Information on the Student Union membership benefits can be found on the Student Union website. The voluntary student union membership fee for doctoral students is 35€ for the academic year 2022-2023.
- Activate your TUNI account with which you can access your university email address and other electronic services. After you have enrolled, you will receive an email when it will be possible for you to activate your TUNI account.
- Start using the email account the university offers or redirect your messages from the university account to another address.
- More information on accommodation in Tampere.
- More information on arrival in Finland and Tampere.
- Take a look at the Student’s Guide. The Student's Guide offers you information and guidelines concerning your studies from starting your degree to the public defence of your dissertation and graduation.
- Familiarise yourself with the curriculum of your doctoral programme. The annually updated teaching schedules show you the teaching times in the doctoral programmes as well as the courses taught by the Doctoral School. Planning your studies and drafting your personal study plan is done on the Sisu study information system.
- Take part in the Tampere University Doctoral School Orientation, where you will receive a lot of important information to get your research career started.
New international doctoral students are also welcome to take part in the Welcome week organised for new international Bachelor's and Master's students as well as the Welcome week organised for new exhange students.
To gain a student’s access to facilities:
- To gain an access to Hervanta campus facilities, visit the Kampusareena info Mon-Fri 8.00 – 16.00.
- To gain an access to Kauppi and city centre campus facilities, visit either the Arvo building info (Kauppi campus) or the city centre main building info Mon-Fri 8.00-16.00.
- The doors to the campus buildings will be open from 8.00 to 16.00.
Read more: Induction for doctoral researcher (in Intra)