TAMK Student's Handbook
Student health care
Student health care services are provided by the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS).
Who are entitled to use FSHS services?
- Students at Universities of Applied Sciences (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree)
Who are NOT entitled to use FSHS services?
- incoming exchange students
- open UAS students
- continuing education students
- commissioned education students
What services does FSHS provide?
- Study environment and study community related activities
- Health care services: Individual monitoring and promotion of health and welfare and ability to study
- Medical care services: Primary medical care and oral health services
Where do they operate?
Service unit in Tampere is in the city centre (Kalevantie 3) and Oral health care unit is in Hervanta (Korkeakoulunkatu 6).
As a customer of the FSHS, you will have access to 23 units around Finland. If necessary, you can visit any of the FSHS’s own service units. The service units operated by partners outside the Tampere area, are only for the students studying in these towns.
Who has to pay the health care fee?
The health care fee must be paid by all students who are encompassed by FSHS services (completing a Bachelor's or Master's degree). The health care fee must be paid to KELA irrespective of whether the student uses FSHS services or not.
How much is the health care fee?
The health care fee will be reviewed annually and you can then check the fee on KELA’s website. The health care fee in 2022 is 38.50 euros per term, i.e. 77 euros for the academic year. There will be no appointment fees for FSHS services, but any uncancelled no-show appointments will be subject to a charge.
When and how to pay the health care fee?
The health care fee must be paid to KELA every term, i.e. twice a year. Please note that KELA will not send you an invoice, so you must pay the fee on your own initiative. The due dates will depend on the date of your registration as an attending student.
The due date for paying the student healthcare fee is determined based on the date on which you register as attending.
- For the autumn term, the due date is 30 September provided you have registered as attending by then. If you register as attending for the autumn term on or after 1 October, the due date is 31 December.
- For the spring term, the due date is 31 January provided you have registered as attending by then. If you register as attending for the spring term on or after 1 February, the due date is 31 July.
More information on KELA website