DSII – Doctoral School of Industry Innovations
Does your company need doctoral graduates who are able to apply research knowledge in business contexts, possess excellent communication skills and have an extensive network of contacts to support them as they pursue challenging expert careers?
The Doctoral School of Industry Innovations (DSII) offers companies a new avenue for improving their competitive position and renewing their business. DSII builds bridges between academia and industry and provides your company with access to the latest research knowledge and the opportunity to address research questions that are essential for developing your business.
DSII represents a unique combination of dissertation research, real-world business challenges, professional networks and innovations. Our doctoral graduates have the expertise to engage in agile and customer-driven research, development and business activities.
Our doctoral students are looking to pursue management and expert careers in industry. They develop not only their scientific and technological competencies but also their innovation and communication skills throughout their studies. We offer our doctoral students a unique opportunity to undertake dissertation research, gain an in-depth understanding of innovation methods, tackle real-world business challenges and expand their professional network.
DSII employs the latest innovation methods and fosters active university-industry collaboration. Our doctoral graduates have the expertise to engage in agile and customer-driven research, development and business activities.
What we offer to companies:
- a broad pool of talent for filling challenging expert positions
- the opportunity to define and address research problems to improve their future competitiveness
- the opportunity to tap into the latest research findings
What we offer to doctoral students:
- the opportunity to combine work with doctoral study
- a four-year, project-based employment contract with Tampere University
- the chance to develop strong business skills and become familiar with the latest innovation methods
- the opportunity to join a community of experts made up of our partner companies and researchers
Who's it for
DSII offers new avenues for promoting competitiveness and continuous renewal for companies that are looking to
- build a broad pool of talent for filling challenging expert positions
- address research questions that are essential for developing their business
- access the latest research.
- companies that invest in research
- doctoral students who are interested in executive and expert positions in industry
- all those who share our passion for innovation and appreciate communal values
How does it all happen
Our doctoral students explore research questions provided by our partner companies and conduct research at in the campus facilities and in the premises of partner companies.
The University hires the doctoral students admitted to DSII to complete four-year dissertation projects that are sponsored by the partner companies. Research is undertaken under the joint supervision of professors and company representatives. In addition, our doctoral students take part in workshops, events and innovation training hosted by the DSII community.
DSII invites applications from students and potential partner companies once a year and admits 6 - 10 new doctoral students on an annual basis. Companies are invited to propose new research topics at the beginning of each year, and new students are admitted in the autumn to start their studies in January.
”DSII’s approach brings together research, product development and business and is a fine example of what university–industry collaboration can ideally be. This is exactly what we need.”
Send us e-mail: dsii [at] tuni.fi
For more information visit our website