Centres of Excellence in Research
Tampere University coordinates four CoEs:
- FinMIT, Centre of Excellence in Research on Mitochondria, Metabolism and Disease (2014–2019) coordinated by Professori Howy Jacobs
- Centre of Excellence in History of Experiences (2018–2025) coordinated by Professor Pertti Haapala
- Centre of Excellence in Body-on-Chip Research (2018-2025) coordinated by Professor Minna Kellomäki
- Centre of Excellence in Game Culture Studies (2018–2025), coordinated by Professor Frans Mäyrä
In addition, Tampere University is a member of six other Centres of Excellence.
- Centre of Excellence in Biomembrane Research (2014-2019) coordinated by the University of Helsinki, contact person at Tampere University is Professor Ilpo Vattulainen
- Centre of Excellence on the Relational and Territorial Politics of Bordering, Identities, and Transnationalization coordinated by the University of Oulu, contact person at Tampere University is Professor Jouni Häkli
- Centre of Excellence in Research on Ageing and Care (2018–2025) coordinated by the University of Jyväskylä, contact person at Tampere University is Professor Marja Jylhä
- Centre of Excellence of Inverse Modelling and Imaging (2018-2025) coordinated by the University of Helsinki, contact person at Tampere University is Professor Mikko Kaasalainen
- Centre of Excellence in Tumour Genetics Research (2018–2025), coordinated by the University of Helsinki, contact person at Tampere University is Professor Matti Nykter.
ERC funding from the European Research Council
The European Research Council grants funding to top researchers for high-level frontier research. In its funding decisions, the scientific quality of the application is the only assessment criterion.
The ERC Starting Grant is for top researchers with 2–7 years of experience since completion of their PhD. ERC Consolidator Funding is for researchers who have worked for 7–12 years since their PhD. ERC Advanced Grant is for active researchers who have a track-record of significant research achievements in their field.
ERC funding at Tampere University:
- Billy Brumley, Side-Channel Aware Engineering (ERC-2018-STG)
- Humeyra Caglayan, QUAntum nanophotonics in Rolled-Up Metamaterials (ERC-2018-STG)
- Mircea Guina, Advanced III-V Materials and Processes Enabling Ultrahigh-efficiency (50%) Photovoltaics (ERC-2015-AdG)
- Johanna Kantola, Gender, party politics and democracy in Europe: A study of European Parliament’s party groups (ERC-2017-CoG)
- Eeva Luhtakallio, Imagi(ni)ng Democracy: European youth becoming citizens by visual participation (ERC-2018-StG)
- Arri Priimägi, Tunable Photonic Structures via Photomechanical Actuation (ERC-2015-STG) and Optical sensing of relative humidity using photoswitchable molecules (ERC-2017-PoC)
- Tuomas Virtanen, Computational Analysis of Everyday Soundscapes (ERC-2014-STG) and Pre-Commercialisation of Sound Recognition for Surveillance Applications (ERC-2016-PoC)
The aim of the Academy of Finland’s Academy Professor posts is to offer researchers at the top international level in their field an opportunity to conduct full-time scientific research. Academy Professors are expected to offer a significant contribution to their field and to foster a creative research environment.
The Academy of Finland appointed Professor Pertti Alasuutari as an Academy Professor for the five-year period of 2016 –2020. He works at the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Pertti Alasuutari is a highly esteemed scholar with extensive international networks. He was elected Professor of the Year in 2014. Alasuutari has directed several Academy of Finland -funded research projects and worked as an Academy Professor also in 2009–2013.
A key theme in Pertti Alasuutari’s research is the links between the practices and the power relations of modern society. Alasuutari studies the formation and functioning of several international organisations and the activities of national policy-makers both within them and within national politics. He aims to address the question about the purpose of such networking from the viewpoint of national actors.