Online materials opened and material licenses extended due to the situation caused by the coronavirus
Extended right to publishers' e-resources
- Asia Portal site, under New & Trial Resources, you will find archives, e-books, newspapers and magazines that have been opened for the University of Tampere until 30 June https://libguides.tuni.fi/asiaportalresources
- Cambridge University Press has opened more than 2,000 e-books on the Cambridge Core service https://libguides.tuni.fi/Cambridgecore until 31.5.2020. Kirjat löytyvät vain ko. palvelusta. The books can only be found in service. They are not listed in Andor. Access covers the following collections (note: for remote access, go to the books via the Cambridge Core link above):
Cambridge Companions https://www.cambridge.org/core/what-we-publish/collections/cambridge-companions
Cambridge Histories https://www.cambridge.org/core/what-we-publish/collections/cambridge-histories
Cambridge Elements https://www.cambridge.org/core/what-we-publish/elements
More than 700 Cambridge University Press html e-course books https://www.cambridge.org/core/what-we-publish/textbooks
- Dawsonera https://libguides.tuni.fi/dawsonera unrestricted reading rights for acquired books until June 15, 2020 (involving several publishers). The books can be found in Andor. At Dawsonera, search is “Owned by my library”.
- Duodecim Oppiportti https://libguides.tuni.fi/oppiportti there are corona-related training materials.
- Duodecim Terveysportti https://libguides.tuni.fi/terveysportti corona-related materials: http://www.emaileri.fi/temp/newsletter_283767_0.pdf
- Ebook Central (ProQuest) https://libguides.tuni.fi/ebookcentral Books acquired through the service have an unrestricted right of reading on June 19, 2020 (see list of publishers https://media2.proquest.com/documents/unlimitedaccess-participatingpublishers.pdf). Books can be found from Andor. In Ebook Central, the search is limited to “Owned and subscribed to by my library”.
- Ebook Collection EbscoHost (Ebsco) https://libguides.tuni.fi/ebookacademic unlimited reading rights for books acquired through the service until June 30, 2020 (including hundreds of publishers). The books can be found in Andor. In the Ebsco service, the search is limited to “Full-text”. More information: https://more.ebsco.com/eBooks-Upgraded-Access-2020.html
- Elsevier has opened ScienceDirect service https://libguides.tuni.fi/science-direct more than 250 e-textbooks available until June 15, 2020. More information and book list: https://www.elsevier.com/solutions/sciencedirect/content/book-title-lists In addition, Elsevier has launched thousands of other e-books on ScienceDirect until July 31, 2020. You can search for an individual book or limit your search to books (click on “Journals & books” and check publication type “books” + any other restrictions).
- JSTOR https://libguides.tuni.fi/jstor-arts-sciences has extended access to journals and e-books in all JSTOR collections to subscribers to its collections. Access to all materials is until 30.6.
- Kanopy https://libguides.tuni.fi/kanopy removes some of the restrictions on concurrent users. To use Kanopy, you must create a custom ID.
- SAGE materials available freely untill 20.7.2020:
- Springer Nature offers in SpringerLink https://libguides.tuni.fi/springerlink more than 500 e-course books on various topics for free use. More information and book lists: https://www.springernature.com/gp/librarians/news-events/all-news-articles/industry-news-initiatives/free-access-to-textbooks-for-institutions-affected-by-coronaviru/17855960
- World Scientific Publishing: free e-book Prevention and Control of COVID-19: https://doi.org/10.1142/11834. World Scientific eBooks available through Ebook Central and EBSCO are available to an unlimited number of concurrent users on June 15th. (Ebook Central) or 30.6. (EBSCO). Mainly books on physics, mathematics and economics.
Materials open to all by publishers
- AIP Publishing https://www.scitation.org/remote-access has opened his material to everyone. Contains mainly physics materials and requires registration and login. Free access to the material until 30.4.2020.
- American Economic Association all content openly available until the end of June. https://www.aeaweb.org/journals/
- Annual Reviews has opened all publications for free use at least until April 30, 2020. https://annualreviewsnews.org/2020/03/13/annual-reviews-removes-access-control-in-response-to-covid-19-pandemic/
- Australian National Universitynopen materials are multidisciplinary and focus on Australian and Oceanian as well as indigenous research. Materials can be downloaded directly from the ANU website: http://press.anu.edu.au/
- Berghahn has opened access to all its publications. Berghahn publishes journals in the social and humanities fields. https://www.berghahnjournals.com/page/journals
- Brill e-books for example. epidemics and their prevention, as well as distance learning: https://www2.brill.com/COVID-19_Collection
- EBSCOn Faculty Select http://eds.b.ebscohost.com/eds/search/basic?vid=0&sid=bfe65e0d-7b72-4bd2-97dd-0838d35b03ed%40pdc-v-sessmgr05 The OER (Open Educational Resources, 12,400+ volumes) material and EBSCOeBooks ™ books (225,000+ volumes) can be downloaded through the user interface until 30.6.2020. It is possible to limit the search to OER material only, so that everyone in the search is freely available. Not all books in the EBSCOeBooks ™ collection have been acquired for the use of the Tampere University.
- Elsevier Novel Coronavirus Information Center ScienceDirect has opened about 21,000 articles, an opportunity also for data mining. The service is open as long as there is a need for the material. https://www.elsevier.com/connect/coronavirus-information-center
- Gale Reference Complete https://libguides.tuni.fi/galepages available untill 30.6.2020.
- GeoScienceWorld eBooks has openly opened the materials of nine different publishers until June 30, 2020. https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/
- IEEE Xplore has opened free access to research articles and standards on Covid19 for all.https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/searchresult.jsp?
- Index of Medieval Art Princeton The database of medieval art maintained by the university contains e.g. pictures and descriptive information. The service is openly used untill 1.6. https://theindex.princeton.edu/
- Internet Archive National Emergency Library including 1.4 million volumes. The service will be in use untill 30 June 2020. https://archive.org/details/nationalemergencylibrary
- JoVe has opened the STEM educational video library for use on June 15, 2020. Jove's service also includes a separate data package related to the coronavirus: https://www.jove.com/science-education-library
- NewspaperARCHIVE.com® https://libguides.tuni.fi/newspaperarchive On trial for a limited time. Access more than 400 years of newspapers, obituaries, and family history records from 32 countries and all 50 states.
- Ohio State University Press the service has 699 e-books in free use for a few months: https://kb.osu.edu/handle/1811/131
- OpenEdition Books ja OpenEdition Journals has opened more collections and materials for open use during the pandemic: https://oep.hypotheses.org/2515
- Oxford University Press has opened several services for open access. Some interfaces may require a separate login. https://global.oup.com/about/covid19
- Project Muse collecting open material from several publishers in the list, a comprehensive list by publisher can be found on the page: https://about.muse.jhu.edu/resources/freeresourcescovid19/
- ProQuest Coronavirus Research Database https://search.proquest.com/coronavirus/
- Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale (RILM - MGG) music research databases in use untill 31.5.: https://rilm.org/news/journal.php?id=133
- Royal Society Publishing e-journals from different fields. https://royalsociety.org/journals/#listing
- The publisher also has a separate collection of coronavirus and pandemic research articles: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/topic/special-collections/novel-coronavirus-outbreak
- SIAM Epidemiology Collection freely available untill the end fo 2020: https://epubs.siam.org/page/EpidemiologyCollection
- Suomalaisen kirjallisuuden seura has opened national bibliografies for all. The service contains 6 554 Finnish bibliographies. Free access untill 26.5.2020. https://kansallisbiografia.fi/
- Taylor & Francis COVID19 material from different disciplines https://taylorandfrancis.com/coronavirus/
- University of California Press 46 e-journals from various disciplines, open until the end of June https://www.ucpress.edu/journals
- University of Michigan Press over a thousand eBooks readable online (no download available). The service is open until the end of June https://www.fulcrum.org/michigan?locale=en&view=gallery
The material list is updated and maintained at all times. More information: hankinta.kirjasto [at] tuni.fi
In spite of the closing of the library premises, all of the library's online services will continue to function normally.