Bachir graduated with a first MEng degree (with honours) in Electronic and Electrical Engineering from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) in 2006. Later, he completed his PhD studies on electromagnetic induction tomography with applications in medical and industrial process imaging. In 2010, He took up the post of a Research Associate at the University of Manchester. Then, in 2015 he was hired by CableDetection Ltd to work as a research engineer in the R&D department. Later, in 2017, he joined BioMediTech Research Institute at University of Tampere (Finland) where he is currently working as a Senior Research Fellow. Since 2020, Bachir has been assisting in lecturing undergraduate and graduate levels at the faculty where he has been teaching courses on bioelectronics, and medical imaging methods.
Bachir’s research is in the field of sensing, imaging and signal processing, where he aims to develop novel methods and sensor system solutions in the areas of magnetic induction tomography/spectroscopy, eddy current testing, metal detection and bioimpedance. In recent years, he has focused on the development of low-cost, portable and non-invasive medical imaging systems using bioimpedance and electromagnetic induction.
Bachir works closely with the industry, and aims to translate sensor systems from fundamental research in laboratory to prototypes to be tested in real world environment. He has worked with EDF Energy Ltd, Cable Detection Ltd, Rapiscan Systems Ltd on various R&D projects related to eddy current testing, metal detection and security screening. His research also involved collboration with major EU research centres including Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR), Germany and Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA), France. Bachir has also been working as part of large interdisciplnary projects jonining multiple academic insititions in unified studies such as Find a Better Way, http://www.findabetterway.org.uk/, and development of electrical impedance tomography for online monitoring of stroke patients.
- Jokela J, Peyton AJ, Hyttinen J, Dekdouk B. "A method for evaluating sensitivity of electromagnetic localization systems for wireless capsule endoscopes ". In: 44th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMBC). Glasgow, UK: IEEE; 2022. p. 4953–8.
- Haikka S, Hyttinen J, Dekdouk B. "Sensitivity Analysis of Circular and Helmet Coil Arrays in Magnetic Induction Tomography for Stroke Detection". 44th Annu Int Conf IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2022;2022:584–7
- Paldanius, A., Dekdouk, B., Toivanen J and Kolehmainen V, Hyttinen, J., “Sensitivity Analysis Highlights the Importance of Accurate Head Models for Electrical Impedance Tomography Monitoring of Intracerebral Hemorrhagic Stroke”. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, DOI: 10.1109/TBME.2021.3120929, 2021
- Dekdouk B, Ktistis C, Armitage D W and Peyton A J, “Absolute imaging of low conductivity material distributions using nonlinear reconstruction methods in magnetic induction tomography” Progress In Electromagnetics Research,. 155:1-18, 2016
- Gundrum T, Büttner P, Dekdouk B, Peyton J, Wondrak T, Galindo V, Eckert S, “Contactless inductive bubble detection in a liquid metal flow” Sensors, 16(1), 63, 2016, DOI:10.3390/s16010063
- Dekdouk B, Ktistis C, Marsh L A, Armitage D W and Peyton A J, “Towards metal detection and identification for humanitarian demining using magnetic polarizability tensor spectroscopy” Measurement Science & Technology, 26-11, 2015
- Dekdouk B, Chapman R, Brown M, Peyton A J. “Evaluating the conductivity distribution in isotropic polycrystalline graphite using spectroscopic eddy current technique for monitoring weight loss in advanced gas cooled reactors”. NDT & E International. 51: 150-159. 2012
- Dekdouk B, Ktistis C, Armitage D W, Peyton A J, Chapman R and Brown M. “Non-contact characterisation of conductivity gradient in isotropic polycrystalline graphite using inductance spectroscopy measurements” Insight - Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring. 53(2): 90-95. 2011
- Dekdouk B., Yin W., Ktistis C., Armitage D.W. and Peyton A.J., “A method to solve the forward problem in Magnetic Induction Tomography based on the weakly coupled field approximation” IEEE Trans on Biomedical Eng, 57- 4, 2010
- Gundrum T, Buttner P, Wondrak T, Galindo V, Eckert S, Dekdouk B, and Peyton A.J , "Inductive detection of gas bubbles in a liquid metal flow: a contactless and non invasive methode," presented at the 2015 IEEE Sensors, 1-4 Nov. 2015, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2015. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICSENS.2015.7370432
- Dekdouk B, Marsh L A, Armitage D W and Peyton A J. “ Estimating magnetic polarizability tensor of buried metallic targets for land mine clearance”. Springer Science and Business Media, LLC, 425-432. 2014
- Andreew O, Gundrum T, Wondrak T, Eckert S, Gerbeth G, Dekdouk B, and Peyton A.J, "Electromagnetic method for detection of gas bubbles in two phase liquid metals flows" in 7th World Congress in Industrial Process Tomography, WCIPT7: International Society for Industrial Process Tomography, Krakow, Poland, 2013.
- Bureau S, Bertrand D, Jallais B, Reling P, Gouble B, Renard C. M. G. C., Dekdouk B, Marsh L A, O’Toole M. D., Armitage D. W., Peyton A. J. and Alvarez-Garcia J., “FRUITGRADING: Development of a fruit sorting technology based on internal quality parameters”, 16th International Conference on Near Infrared Spectroscopy, Montpellier, France, 2013
- Dekdouk B, Ktistis C, Marsh L A, Armitage D W and Peyton A J., “Method for determining magnetic polarisability tensor for identifying obscured threat metallic targets”, European Electromagnetics (EUROEM), Toulouse, France, 2012
- Dekdouk B, Chapman R, Brown M, Ktistis C, Armitage D, and Peyton A. J, "Non-contact characterisation of conductivity gradient in isotropic polycrystalline graphite using inductance spectroscopy measurements" in 49th Annual Conference of the British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing, BINDT 2010,: British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing. Cardiff, UK, 2010.
- Dekdouk B, Ktistis C, Yin W, Armitage D.W and Peyton A.J, “The application of a priori structural information based regularization in image reconstruction in Magnetic Induction Tomography”, International Conference on Electrical Bioimpedance, Florida, Apr. 4-8, 2010
- Dekdouk B, Ktistis C, Armitage D.W and Peyton A.J, “Assessing the feasibility of detecting a Hemorrhagic type stroke using a 16 channel Magnetic Induction System”, International Conference on Electrical Bioimpedance, Florida, Apr. 4-8, 2010
- Yin W, Dekdouk B, Ktistis C, and Peyton A. J, "Evaluation of the effects of the screen based on an analytical solution of a simplified MIT system," in XIV International Conference on Electrical Bioimpedance and 11th Conference on Biomedical Applications of Electrical Impedance Tomography (ICEBI & EIT2010), 4-8 April 2010, UK, 2010
- Dekdouk. B, Pham M.H., Armitage D.W., Ktistis C., Zolgharni M. and Peyton A.J., “A feasibility study on the delectability of Edema using Magnetic Induction Tomography using an Analytical Model” 4th European Congress for Medical and Biomedical Engineering, Belgium, Nov, 2008
- Yin .W, Dekdouk B, Peyton .A.J, “Solution of 3D Electromagnetic Flow Meter Equations Based on a Resistor Network Equivalent Method”, 3rd international Workshop on Process Tomography, Japan, Apr 2009
- Yin W., Peyton A.J, Zysko G., Dekdouk B., “Limits of the weakly coupled field assumption for low conductivity electromagnetic induction tomography”, 5th International Symposium on Process Tomography, Poland , Aug, 2008
- Dekdouk B., Ktistis C., Armitage D.W. and Peyton A.J, “Application of the impedance method for computing the current density inside a 3D conductor for low conductivity Magnetic Induction Tomography”, 5th International Symposium on Process Tomography, Poland, Aug 2008
- Watson S., Ktistis C., Dekdouk B., Armitage DW., Peyton AJ., Williams RJ., Griffiths H., “Developments in Magnetic Induction Tomography for Oil-Industry Applications”. Proc. 5th World Congress on Industrial Process Tomography, Bergen, ISBN 978 0 85316 265 0, Norway Sept 2007.